lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacc0

5 Year Member
I am setting up my indoor enclosure for my future baby herman. My hatchling enclosure is fairly small so I would like to just use 1 light for the whole thing. I have looked at the zoo med powersun and other similar lights and I am looking for something like that. I was just wondering if any of the lights on this website would work? Everything on here is pretty cheap.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/Mercury-Vapor-Lights/

Thanks!

tmacc0

5 Year Member
I was looking for a heat source and a light. I did not know if any of the ones on that site would work, so I just ordered a mercury vapor one on a pet store online. thanks for responding!

samstar

5 Year Member
After doing a lot of reading up, I just ordered the Mega Ray 120watts mecury vapor bulb last night for my baby Star Torty

tmacc0

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
tmacc0-What brand and wattage did you order? For future reference, the Mega Ray and T-Rex brands have the best UVB output and reviews. See http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm 100 watt works for most enclosures, 160 watt for larger enclosures, and 250 watt for huge torts.

I ended up buying a 100 watt sunforce mercury vapor bulb from big apple pet supply. Hopefully that will be okay?

Starry night

5 Year Member
I had bad luck with using mercury vapor lamps with my baby star torts. They would always hide from the light and then I noticed that they always had a hard time opening their eyes. After speaking with someone who has 30+ years experience I use a dual fluoro fixture with a Reptisun 10.0 and a verilux bulb. Both are T8 bulbs and my animals seem to love it. They are much more active now and eat more. I have a 75 watt heat lamp at one end for them to bask under. Just what I have experienced.

samstar

5 Year Member
I just received my mvb from mega ray last week. Hope all goes well. Now only I need to buy a lamp that is good for more than 120watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.