Lighting and enclosure

Sarahlou2676

Location (City and/or State)
Stuart, Florida
Hello, I’m new here. I recently got two baby sulcata tortoise that are probably 2 months old. The people at the pet store are not very helpful so I came here! As of right now I have them in a 20 gallon tank with a screened in top which very soon I am going to upgrade. I really need to figure out the lighting and heat situation. I am so unsure based off everything I’m reading. The pet store sold me the zoo med desert and uvb lighting kit. I live in south Florida so I get them outside in the sunlight a couple hours a day but they spend most of their days in the tank. Also, is it required to have any of the lights on at night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

You can forget everything you ever heard about raising baby tortoises and start fresh with an open mind by reading our care sheet:

This method is tried and true, tested on his own babies over the years, and re-tested over and over again by our members here on the Forum. It works! If you have questions after you've read and absorbed the care sheet, come back and ask them. We're glad to help you.

Here are a couple more things for you to read regarding keeping tortoises in pairs and things you wish you knew before you got your tortoise:

Sarahlou2676

Stuart, Florida
So according to this if youR tortoise is sunbathing outside every day you do not need a uv light in their enclosure? Does that also apply to baby tortoise?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Yes, all ages of tortoise benefit from natural sunlight. you do have to be careful with young tortoises as they can dehydrate and/or overheat quickly

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes.
It sounds like the UVB needs are being met.
You still need a CHE for warmth.
A CHE provides heat. With no light.
For light, you can use any type of household light bulb.
You also need high humidity...
Make sure to read up on those provided links.
Your issue will be with the fact that the pet shop sold you two Sulcata....
They will not be able to live together unless your Florida yard is larger than mine.