Substrate humidity

Tortoisejim

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I’m building an indoor greenhouse enclosure and was just wondering how y’all keep the humidity up in the greenhouse while keeping the top layer of substrate dry and underneath wet? Will I just need very deep substrate ? I’m using coco coir

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m building an indoor greenhouse enclosure and was just wondering how y’all keep the humidity up in the greenhouse while keeping the top layer of substrate dry and underneath wet? Will I just need very deep substrate ? I’m using coco coir
What species and size tortoise?

This is usually best accomplished with 3-4 inches of fine grade orchid bark.

Tortoisejim

Florida

I have a 3 inch redfoot tortoise, maybe a mix of coco coir and orchird bark? Or just orchid bark?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have a 3 inch redfoot tortoise, maybe a mix of coco coir and orchird bark? Or just orchid bark?
Just orchid bark is best, but orchid, coco and cypress are all acceptable. My redfoot has all cypress and what I do is I add warm water to the corners of my enclosure. That allows the water to get into the bedding, but the top is still dry except the small corner areas I poured it into

Texas

Where do you find your orchid bark? I’m having a hard time finding fine grade that is large in size to reduce the risk of ingestion. I just ordered some medium sized (3/4” to 1” size bark that has been heat treated to rid it of pathogens & fungus). I read that fine grade orchid bark refers to its ability to retain moisture, not its size. Is that correct? I saw a picture in your post on the best way to raise healthy sulcatas and the pieces of orchid bark looked large — I’m on the hunt for a good orchid bark, but it may be that I’m over thinking it.

Tortoisejim

Florida
Just orchid bark is best, but orchid, coco and cypress are all acceptable. My redfoot has all cypress and what I do is I add warm water to the corners of my enclosure. That allows the water to get into the bedding, but the top is still dry except the small corner areas I poured it into
Will this method work well in my greenhouse style enclosure without molding?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Will this method work well in my greenhouse style enclosure without molding?
I have a grow tent enclosure for my redfoot and I dont have any issues. I did have one 'cold' spot in one corner that I had an issue with at first, but that was more of a placement issue with my original heating elements. Once I changed that I haven't had any problems. I would just make sure everything is insulated as well as you can so it all stays nice and warm. I bought those insulation sheets at home depot and place them under my enclosures just to be safe.
20201026_081552.jpg

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Where do you find your orchid bark? I’m having a hard time finding fine grade that is large in size to reduce the risk of ingestion. I just ordered some medium sized (3/4” to 1” size bark that has been heat treated to rid it of pathogens & fungus). I read that fine grade orchid bark refers to its ability to retain moisture, not its size. Is that correct? I saw a picture in your post on the best way to raise healthy sulcatas and the pieces of orchid bark looked large — I’m on the hunt for a good orchid bark, but it may be that I’m over thinking it.
Tom is super lucky and has easy access to great orchid bark because he lives where he does. You and I have issues finding it other than the reptibark at petsmart...

Texas
Tom is super lucky and has easy access to great orchid bark because he lives where he does. You and I have issues finding it other than the reptibark at petsmart...

I’m so glad you said that, I thought I was going nuts here trying to find a good orchid bark. Just ordered some and paid an outrageous shipping price.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I’m so glad you said that, I thought I was going nuts here trying to find a good orchid bark. Just ordered some and paid an outrageous shipping price.
Yup, that sounds about right unfortunately lol.
I have decided that whenever I have an extra 20 I'll just go to petsmart and buy a single bag and just build up lol . unless I randomly visit Cali that is. My 2 enclosures currently just have cypress ?‍♀️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just o bark by itself. "Fine grade" refers to the particle size. Usually about a quarter inch.