I think girl

carbo004.jpg

carbo006.jpg

carbo007.jpg

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
It looks like it could be a boy, but what is its size and age? Likely, it is to young to tell...Like I always say...you never know for sure til "he" lays eggs or "she" flashes you...Or you get them endoscoped.
It looks like a male, but it could be a female, put it that way :).

Tom O.

10 Year Member!
Yes, i have him at 3 months old hes growing like crazy.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Tom O. said:
That's not always good. If he is really 2 and a half I suppose he could be one of the larger varieties(definitely a northern), just be careful of overfeeding so watch for white growth lines. In the wild they grow less than an inch a year.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
FLINTUS said:
Tom O. said:
That's not always good. If he is really 2 and a half I suppose he could be one of the larger varieties(definitely a northern), just be careful of overfeeding so watch for white growth lines. In the wild they grow less than an inch a year.

That is, at best, innacurate. Average growth is around 1-2" per year, but they grow in a sigmoid curve, according to our own Madkins007. With that said, growth can vary even between clutch mates. For what it's worth, OP, my smaller redfoot is 18-20 months and 5" (12.7cm).

OP, your tortoise is still too young to give you an affirmative answer on sex. We'll have a better idea in about a year, but even then it'll be a good guess at best.

PS He or she looks great! Keep up the good work.

Tom O.

10 Year Member!
I have two others that are the same age like this one and they are one inch smaller or something but when i got them they where the same large. Now i have 7 redfoots and have another one that grow very well either but this one is now almost 8 cm at the age of one year and a half his brother is the same age and is 7 cm

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
It's hard to predict growth rates. I have a yearling that was raised with my other yearlings. He is over 5 1/2" SCL. Way larger than the norm. I don't have any explaination for it.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
The growth rate is fine. Perfectly normal, it varies ridiculously through tortoises.
At that size, way to small to tell. We can guess its a male, but its nothing to take as for sure...

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
OP, im going to give you an uneducated guess..i am going to say you have a female. Although your tort is really to young to sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.