boy or girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati Ohio
It still might be too early to tell if mosey is a boy or girl, the breeder guessed that moseys a boy, I thought i'd get some other opinions. :)

1zcgta8.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Way to small to really tell. When they get sub adult size they can change in a heartbeat.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
All young'uns look female.

Here are some things to look for:
- Tail. Male tails are HUGE, really long, and tuck into the hind leg space
- Anal scute angle. The two scutes closest to the tail are the anal scutes. They make an angle that the tail pokes out through. If the angle is about 90 degrees, like yours is, it is a female. If the angle opens up to more like straight across, it is a male.
- Anal scute gap. The space between the points of the anal scutes and the marginals is the gap. Males have a wide enough gap to swing their tales through, and females almost touch- as in your photo
- Plastron indent. It develops slowly, but males have definitely incurved plastrons.

This will start showing up when the straight-line carapace length hits about 6" or so.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
allegraf said:
Way to small to really tell. When they get sub adult size they can change in a heartbeat.

How old are they at sub adult size?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It's more about size than age, Candy. 7"+ is when they really start to change, and they can change quickly, over a couple of months.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I agree with Kristina, it is about size more so than age but it is usually about 5-6 years old

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
this whole thing is stumping me as well, im going to be kind of sad if she turns out to be male. if i post a photo like above, will you guys tell me what you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.