Redfoot tortoise enclosure questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyduck517

5 Year Member
Hi all! I'm new to the forum, so I hope that this is the correct place for this questions. I'm going to be getting a redfoot tortoise hatchling soon, and I'm trying to prepare the best enclosure I can (hopefully without going broke) and I have a few questions. I live in central PA, so the RF will be kept indoors until the weather warms up at least.
The current container I'm going to use is one of the large Sterilite 74 quart underbed containers, understanding that the tort will outgrow this in the future.

Lighting and heat: I'm planning to use a CHE for the heat source, and lamp stands to suspend it over the enclosure. Any advice on what wattage I will likely need? I'm thinking the 100watt will likely be warm enough, but not sure!
I'm planning to use a Reptisun 5.0 tube flourescent bulb for light and UV rays as well. I've purchased the hood and I'd like to hang this above the enclosure as well but I'm not sure how: have people had success wrapping a metal chain or something around it and hanging that way? Or do you all get a metal mesh reptile tank top and just sit it on that? I don't love the idea of it resting against the plastic of the container, seems like that could be a fire hazard.

Plants: I want to grow plants for the enclosure, for humidity and a more "natural environment". Any advice on what kinds of plants are best for IN the enclosure? I'm thinking dandelions and nasturtiums to start. Also, what kind of substrate to use for in the pots in the enclosure- I'm having some trouble finding soil without fertilizers right now at the local home depot, but will keep looking!

My apologies if these questions were already answered in other threads, I searched and didn't find much but maybe I used the wrong keywords!

redfootkid

5 Year Member
For the UVB light i rest the hood on a mesh lid. The black ones you see in pet stores are made so they can take the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.