New outdoor enclosure in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I am planning out my first home-made enclosure and already have way too many questions. The most important issue is that it needs to be portable, as I'm planning on moving within a couple of years.

The plan so far is to make a 4x6x3ft box out of some leftover timbers we have after making a retaining wall. The bottom will be chicken wire to allow for drainage while also keeping the little rascal inside. I'm planning on maybe 5 inches of soil all around, which will also be covered by cypress mulch in some areas. I do have some landscaping rocks and things I've been collecting for an outdoor enclosure, but I have no idea what kind of plants to put in. The plan for right now is to also have chicken wire over the top but on hinges so that it can be fully opened from both sides.

My hope is this will be an outdoor enclosure for the remainder of Carl's life

My specific questions are:

Is 4x6 feet going to be a big enough area for a full grown Hermann's tortoise?

What kind of plants can I use in the enclosure for shade that tortoises don't particularly enjoy eating?

Is 5 inches of dirt going to be enough for a good root base while also being enough for a yearling Hermann's to dig in?

Any other helpful information and hints while I'm building this would be very much appreciated!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
First of all, I have Russians,but not too different than Hermann's in many ways.

I think 4'x6' is a bit small for an adult Hermann's. However, it is possible you can think in term of a modular enclosure and add an 'L' shape to it down the road, perhaps after you move.

5" of substrate is fine for most of the enclosure. But if you have 3' sides, can you add a bit more? At least in parts of it where he might burrow?
Another thought; If the sides are 3' high, will you get enough sun?

Plants: hosta, Rosemary, Lavandar, grasses like Carex or Fescue. My tortoise really like burrowing at the base of a Rosemary on a warm day.
Check out http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
That size would work, but always build the enclosures as big as you can. My Hermann's have never dug out of their pens so I'm not sure you need the chicken wire unless you're concerned about something digging into it. In my pens I have roses (which they will eat down to a nub if allowed), rosemary, lavender, small fruit trees (just make sure to get the fruit off the trees before they fall and get eaten!), geraniums (which they might eat - my Russians will but the Hermann's seem to leave them alone), wild violets (not African), fruitless strawberries, sage, and day lilies. I grow grapes up the fences of the enclosures, but they will eat brand new plants so they need to be well established with no leaves at the bottom (unless you don't mind them being eaten.) My neighbors have ice plant growing on the other side of the fence that grows through the cracks. The tortoises never touch it and it looks pretty on the fence. Hope that was helpful!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Thanks for all the input!!

Little Carl does like to dig so I would definitely worry about him deciding to escape.

I've also decided I might make it 2' instead of 3... I don't know why I was planning on building it so dang tall, haha! My only concern is that because it will also be fully covered, 1.5' of actual open space won't allow for a lot of room for plants to grow upwards.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with lynnedit. The size is to small for a forever home. Until you move it should be fine, but after your move I would make it as large as possible.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I could make it plenty bigger for where I'm at now but I will have to move to an apartment soon and it needs to fit on an apartment balcony. Hopefully by the time he's full grown we can get something better set up

Sent from my LG-LS970 using TortForum mobile app

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
We made a few changes to the enclosure design. The wood part is only about 1.5' high,then we are adding a chicken wire "cage" on the top so it's still fully enclosed but there is room for plant growth. We have the base finished and my dad is working on the top, hopefully it will be done soon

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's a good idea. Then the 'cage' and 'base' can break apart for transit.
Looking forward to pics.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I thought of it as we were building this increasingly heavy thing and it just hit me... felt really dumb

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't want to admit all of the things I have thought of AFTER building a tortoise enclosure...:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Status
Not open for further replies.