Enclosure Safety

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I have questions about how to keep torts safe in their enclosures.

1. What's the best way to avoid dogs getting to your tort(I have 2, 70 lb Goldendoodles. They're young and would love to chew on a tortoise:mad:)

2. Is it okay to have a metal wiring on top of your outside enclosure for when I'm not home. Like a roof with metal wiring that can open and close.

3. What's the best way to prevent tortoise "flipping" I'm always scared that when I get a tort I'm going to come home one day and he/she's going to be on it's back:(

Thanks so much for the info. You guys are honestly the best!:<3::):tort:

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I stuff moss in any areas that look flip risky. Those half logs are flip prone. So stuff some moss next to it like a little hill. Keep it moist.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, a wire top, framed in 2x2 or 2x4 is a good top, make sure the wire is not too tightly woven. I would put a lock on it, then the dogs and humans can't get in.
As for flipping, I try not to have any hides that are not straight up and down and I also try not to have anything they can climb on and fall off. I just don't take the chance.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Keep them away from him outdoors, and make sure the table is out of their reach (etc, not to a table or on the ground) Dogs love to chew on torts, which can be VERY bad :(

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Or use hardware cloth on my outdoor enclosure. Also in the enclosures I make sure that the ground is never completely flat there are hills and valleys and the ground is relatively firm so that if the tortoise does flip they are able to flip them sells back over easier. And keep the area under the heat lamp especially safe without things they can climb on and possibly flip.

Colorado
Or use hardware cloth on my outdoor enclosure. Also in the enclosures I make sure that the ground is never completely flat there are hills and valleys and the ground is relatively firm so that if the tortoise does flip they are able to flip them sells back over easier. And keep the area under the heat lamp especially safe without things they can climb on and possibly flip.
Ok great thanks!!