Redfoot making whistling sound sometimes

Melissa0617

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
Hello can anyone help me? My girl keeps whistling but only certain times, mostly when she wants to come out. She makes a whistling sounds. She is not straining for air or any other signs of upper respiratory. She’s eating well too. Please any help would be appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to give us all details of her housing before we could even begin to help.
All temps?
Type of lighting and heat?
Substrate?
Diet?
Soaks?
How old and big is she?
How big is her enclosure?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It’s so tricky to say without hearing first hand but everything I’ve read points to a potential RI brewing, not to say that’s definitely the case here though! I’ve also read it can happen when there’s something stuck in their nasal cavity, I’m sure others can correct me if I’m wrong there.
There’s much more experienced members that will be able to advise you here so I’ll let them chime in for you🙂
As @wellington said, it’ll be much easier to advise having those points answered, that and how long have you noticed her doing it for?
Hope you find the help you need!

Melissa0617

Las Vegas Nevada
It’s so tricky to say without hearing first hand but everything I’ve read points to a potential RI brewing, not to say that’s definitely the case here though! I’ve also read it can happen when there’s something stuck in their nasal cavity, I’m sure others can correct me if I’m wrong there.
There’s much more experienced members that will be able to advise you here so I’ll let them chime in for you🙂
As @wellington said, it’ll be much easier to advise having those points answered, that and how long have you noticed her doing it for?
Hope you find the help you need!
Ty

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello can anyone help me? My girl keeps whistling but only certain times, mostly when she wants to come out. She makes a whistling sounds. She is not straining for air or any other signs of upper respiratory. She’s eating well too. Please any help would be appreciated.
Without the details, that wellington asked, we really can miss an RI.

Whistling and clicking are common among redfoots (look at "Similar threads" below) and, hopefully, there is nothing to worry about. My RF whistles too, but only in dry conditions (outside).

CanOfCorn

Southern California
Mine whistles when the air is too dry and sometimes when he’s sleeping. The vet said he’s very healthy and it’s not a respiratory infection. If you notice other signs of sickness (discharge from nose, watery eyes, lethargy, not eating, not pooping, etc.) then take her to a reptile vet. I’m new to keeping tortoises so every little thing makes me want to take him to the vet but I learned not to worry so much since he’s otherwise acting normally.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It could be something.
It could be nothing.
The fact that the tort seems to be acting and eating well are good.
But please give us the information that @wellington requested so that we can make a more helpful theory as to what might be going on.