Tucker is making a whistling sound when he breathes

Amelia.Walton

Location (City and/or State)
Burnet, TX
Tucker, 2 1/2 year old male sulfate is making a whistling sound when he breathes. I heard it this morning and saw him puffing out his neck and making this noise. I haven’t heard this before and of course I’m worried might be an upper respiratory infection. He’s been soaking, defecating and eating as usual. Sleeping well at night. He is in house under UVB and and basking lights. Has CHE as well. Should I call his vet and make an appointment?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
might just be something plugging the nostrils. Take a good in a bright light. Also might be respiratory infection.

Because the other end of the nostrils ends up in the roof of the mouth and not down into the lungs, it's quite safe to firmly squirt some sterile saline through each nostril. If there's anything stuck that should flush it out.

Amelia.Walton

Burnet, TX
I tried this. Those nostrils are T-tiny!! I also squirted some in his mouth. Sounded a bit better. He was whistling a bit this morn. I have an appt with his vet Friday at 0800. I soaked him in baby food carrot solution. He passed a large amount of stool. I fed him and he ate really well. But his eyes look bit [emoji20] sad. I’ll soak him in carrots again on Thursday and am eagerly awaiting his vet appt. Lucky we have a reptile vet in our area, about 30 miles away. I’ll post what he says and does. [emoji173]️[emoji217][emoji1317]

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
It might turn out to be nothing, if it is something I reckon your on track of things. Wishing you two the best of luck :D

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Please, don’t let your vet give your tortoise any vitamin shots! If they mess up and give the wrong dose, it could kill him.

Amelia.Walton

Burnet, TX
Ok. Thanks for the warning about the vitamin shots. I have had Tucker since he was the size of a half-dollar coin. He’s 2.5 years now. I will be devastated if he is seriously ill. I try to be a good tort mama and he has grown so much and is so personable. I care for him very much. He’s my boy and I look forward to seeing him continue to mature. We are planning his outdoor enclosure and will start on that construction in early Spring. Thanks for your support.

Amelia.Walton

Burnet, TX
I’m supposed to give Tucker .6ml of cephalexin IM. But could someone give me some hints on how to do this? It looked easy when vet did it, but I’m afraid to hurt him and not quite sure where to stick the needle. Need help on back legs and front legs as vet said to rotate around all legs every 3 days.