Redfoot Whistling

Pinky

Location (City and/or State)
Henrietta, NY
We've had Redfoot tortoises for nearly 18 years and this is my first time on a forum. Our 19 yr. old female whistles all the time and has done it for years. For example, my wife awoke the other day and heard a loud whistling coming from our indoor tortoise enclosure. She found that both girls had become uncovered during the night and Penny was getting her attention to have their blankets repositioned. They sleep on an undertank heater and, in the winter, are covered up with old towels at bedtime to keep off the draft. She responds with a whistle to let me know where she is when I call her name. Some folks might say that the whistling is due to a respiratory disorder and she should be rushed to a vet, but I can't agree. She's healthy and very active. Anyone else have a whistler? Thanks. Fred

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hear this a lot about the RF tortoises, so I think it's fairly normal. But I'm concerned with your tortoise's living conditions during the cold weather. They come from a climate where it's mostly warm in the winter, so haven't evolved to know how to deal with cooler temperatures. Since you've had them for 18 years, I'm going to assume they're full grown, but living in a tank? The picture in my mind is a very small enclosure for two full grown RF tortoises. Is there any way you can build them something bigger? Here's a link to a thread that shows what one of our members built:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I hear this a lot about the RF tortoises, so I think it's fairly normal. But I'm concerned with your tortoise's living conditions during the cold weather. They come from a climate where it's mostly warm in the winter, so haven't evolved to know how to deal with cooler temperatures. Since you've had them for 18 years, I'm going to assume they're full grown, but living in a tank? The picture in my mind is a very small enclosure for two full grown RF tortoises. Is there any way you can build them something bigger? Here's a link to a thread that shows what one of our members built:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

That enclosure looks nice, but it's open with no way to keep the humidity up. I'm looking for plans for a new enclosure but this doesn't seem to be appropriate for redfoots.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That enclosure looks nice, but it's open with no way to keep the humidity up. I'm looking for plans for a new enclosure but this doesn't seem to be appropriate for redfoots.
It was merely a picture to help explain that a 'tank' isn't big enough for a full grown RF tortoise. There are many ways one could cover that enclosure, but really, full grown RF tortoises don't need a covered enclosure unless one isn't able to maintain the proper heat inside it.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Yvonne, then how do you keep the humidity level up. I have a 2 1/2 year old Cherryhead.

Darthmaulsmom

Chesapeake
This is the enclosure I have for my hatching redfoot. It was originally fully open but it did not keep heat or humidity in well. Now that it’s like this the heat stays in the high 80s day and night and humidity stays in the 90s. I have boards to go over the center section for night time. Basically two full growns should not be in a tank and should not have to have blankets to keep them warm. They should atleast have ceramic heaters. This enclosure is 4ftx3ft and I only feel comfortable keeping him in there for another 5 or 6 years before I want to upgrade. This set up only cost me a little over $100.

Attachments

• D89CC583-B62B-41F7-8EB8-CFB8CAAFC68A.jpeg
    D89CC583-B62B-41F7-8EB8-CFB8CAAFC68A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

Pinky

Henrietta, NY

Thanks for your concern. Their "tank" is a large enclosure with glass sides and a plywood floor. I made it for them myself and I assure you it's quite adequate. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I'm more interested in other tort owners comments on the whistling. Thanks. Fred

BigTomsMom

Opelousas louisiana
My 10 year old redfoot whistles quite often. Seems like he whistles more when overstimulated. He does not whistle when sleeping or eating.

Recently i noticed that his eyes were watery w little bubbles in the corners so i took him to the vet. The vet said he was not concerned about the whistling but was concerned about his respiratory rate and watery eyes. He stayed at the vet for 1 week and got nebulizer treatments. He’s fine now! Still whistling! Hope this helps.