Leopard tortoise whistling noise when breathing

richybear

5 Year Member
Hi I just wrote on health page also about same thing my 4 year old female leopard tortoise keeps whistling when breathing . She is eating well and very active. She has a dry nose and eyes look good . She is showing no signs of being unwell . He tank is 95 - 80 with a high humidity . I also have a male who is completely fine and he is 3 . Any suggestions ?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Mine does this too and he is just over 2 years old. He has done it for about 8 months now - also with no signs of ill health. I think it might be due to a particle stuck up his nose that won't come loose. It would probably require an operation to remove and I'd rather him not go through that. Does yours only do it when he's stressed? Mine doesn't do it constantly. How long has she had it? Could be food stuck up her nose.

erica anne

5 Year Member
I just took my 3 yr old sully to the vet because of this same concern. He has this "whistling" noise when he breathes but otherwise acts just fine. The vet said his nose was clear and didn't seem at all concerned about the loud breathing. I do have peace of mind now but I am still not sure if this is "normal".

I would say go to the vet if you are really concerned but if he is acting fine otherwise you might just keep an eye on him for any other changes!

lkwagner

5 Year Member
My 2.5 year old sulcata has been doing the same thing! But acts 100% normal and healthy otherwise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard does this off and on and he has never been sick. It's not a constant thing. It's once in a while. Usually more when I am picking him up or just making him a little uncomfortable. If all else seems fine, then it's pretty normal. Just always keep a little closer eye on him, double checking that temps etc are good, eating, drinking, pooping, etc are all good.

richybear said:
Hi I just wrote on health page also about same thing my 4 year old female leopard tortoise keeps whistling when breathing . She is eating well and very active. She has a dry nose and eyes look good . She is showing no signs of being unwell . He tank is 95 - 80 with a high humidity . I also have a male who is completely fine and he is 3 . Any suggestions ?

Where do you live? Leopards of that age should be living outside in an enclosure, with a heated shed or dog house for cold nights. If you live in the northern states, a room or basement made up to house them would work too. How big of a tank is she in? Should consider upgrading them into something much bigger then I would imagine any tank would be.

richybear

5 Year Member
Thanks all for replying audrey still seems fine and active . She still does it on occasions but I feel a lot more relaxed after your comments :)