Red light

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
Am using a red heat lamp 24 hours. Do I need to buy a ceramic heater or is the red light okay for her at night?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'd recommend a ceramic heater for night use.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use a black light bulb for heat with all my indoor habitats. I believe it's a matter of personal choice. Most CHE's are 100 watts but the black light bulbs are 60 watts and they don't use as much electricity. They DO keep the habitat warmer tho...so your red light is fine

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
maggie3fan said:
I use a black light bulb for heat with all my indoor habitats. I believe it's a matter of personal choice. Most CHE's are 100 watts but the black light bulbs are 60 watts and they don't use as much electricity. They DO keep the habitat warmer tho...so your red light is fine

...I guess I was thinking more along the lines of sleeping patterns and light pollution. I have no hard evidence, but I would imagine the red light interferes with circadian rhythms. Vertebrate endocrine systems are strongly influenced by light via the pineal gland (produces melatonin - sleep hormone - in the absence of light).

That's enough biology, I apologize and hope I'm not coming across as pretentious, but I think it's extremely important to provide darkness for regular sleep patterns (and proper endocrine function) for your animals. Again, I'd recommend a CHE. Amazon is selling them for cheap right now, it's free two-day shipping with a Prime account (you get a free trial as a student for 6 months). CHE's are available in 60, 100, or 150 watt capacities and generally run between $30-40, currently they're <$20. They'll last you for years from what I hear.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...keywords=Zoo+Med+Ceramic+heat+emitter&x=0&y=0

I hate to say it, but you'll probably want to put this on a dimmer switch/rheostat/thermostat because they get hot! I run mine on a Zoo Med thermostat (~$30) and it's working great. I know it's a big investment, but I think they pay for themselves quickly (CHE's and temp. control unit) by maintaining good health.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have a infrared bulb for each of my RFs....I also have a basking heat light with uva for daytime. I will run the daytime bulb for a couple of days then run the infrared bulb every night and also the whole day every third day.....I do not run a uvb in their enclosure every day..(either they go out for sun everyday..but when weather is iffy they go out when it is warm enough and for as long as weather is ok...I will use a long tube uvb for them from time to timetime if they are not able to get some sun)...

Some folks just don't like the red or purple night lights and some just don't like the CHEs.....

Do some research in the individual items so you can come to your own practical use item....IMHO that is....:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I use a infrared bulb to taper off the 12-hr daytime photoperiod of the MVB I have on my sulcata. I have it run 3 hrs before and 3 hrs after, so there's a period of cooler, complete darkness in the middle of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.