Recognize name.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My leopard will respond if I make clicking noises. If his head is tucked in he tends to ignore his name but if I make a clicking noises with my tongue he will bring his head out and look around at me every time.

As for tortoises changing human behaviour - well mine certainly has me well trained in our routine!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
They can be trained to respond to sound. Matter of fact, most Reptiles can be trained to respond or do specific behaviors to specific sounds.
How can they be trained to respond to sounds if they do not hear? Appreciate answer. Thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have a little story, my tortoise was walking in the opposite direction and was already fed for the day, while he was still walking I called his name and told him to come here, he perked his head and turned a little and then turned around and walked right up to me and just sat there staring up at me.
Hi. Fair enough, that could have happened, but your tortoise could have walked towards you when you called its name by mere chance. I still insist: reptiles do not hear sounds- they feel vibrations.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
As mentioned above, animals commonly associate you with food. However, I observe and spend time with my Russian tortoises frequently. I limit the amount that I handle them, due to the fact that I would hate to put them under stress, but I have noticed a difference over the past months. They definitely "know" who I am compared to other folks around the household. They squirm and flee from others a lot more than they do with me. It makes me feel special, but then I realize that I'm just a walking salad bar for them!
Hi. I agree with what you said as far as food is concerned: torts run for food, and obviously know their owners. But does that mean that they hear? I don't think so.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They seem to be able to hear low frequency sounds, infrasonics, in a range we cannot, with an overlap at the high range of their hearing and the lower range of ours. So they cannot hear high sounds.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I believe that's what he is saying. I think that even if they don't "hear" how or what we do they still have that sense.
Sorry-I don't understand your qestion. Would you please re-phrase it? Thanks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
There was no question, it was just a statement.
Please re-read your alert and notice what you asked: 'If they don't "hear" how or what do they still have that sense?'
Is that not a question? :rolleyes:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Please re-read your alert and notice what you asked: 'If they don't "hear" how or what do they still have that sense?'
Is that not a question? :rolleyes:
"I think that even if they…"is the beginning of a statement. Basically I'm saying I think they here in someway and I think that's what Ken was saying also.

M

Maggie Cummings

They have a timpanic membrane that vibrates when we call them. There is not a more social tortoise then Bob and all he thinks is I am the food goddess, and that;'s why he follows me around, not because he LOVES me.He follows me continually. He states at my bedroom window....they do not hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
There's a small tortoise on YouTube that comes to a whistle .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine call me by name, does that count? I don't answer them though, that would just be crazy.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I remember reading a study close to 40 years ago that concluded that turtles/tortoises were as smart as rats, but that since they are difficult to motivate it's hard to test them in a reliable and repeatable way.

My box turtles definitely respond to my voice.

The only word they respond to is "worms," with a protracted rolled r, sung out in my best Barbara Wodehouse imitation. It signifies the feeding of worms and slugs. Occasionally when I need to find them at night I'll trill out, and they'll come out...but they've also learned that a light at night means I'll take them in if they show up.

puffy137

Do you mean Barbara Woodhouse ? The british lady who trained dogs ? She was famous for calling ' Walkies' .I think your turtles have come to associate the sound of your voice with food . My greek herd come out when they hear the rustle of plastic bags containing their Lettuce & other veggie bits. I suppose I should call them by name but there are just too many of them .