Recognize name.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
You know, Alex, I was brought up by a very scientific couple, happened to be my parents, both college educated bio-sci people. My father a Harvard Biology PhD and professor of botany (actually vegetable crops) at UC. Davis. He'd be 99 this July if he were still around and I was told constantly to not anthropomorphize animals as that was wrong and that was the science of the time.

Nowadays it is beginning to be understood in evolutionary science that our very special attributes as humans, while in many ways peculiar to us as humans, have a basis in the behavior and genomes of other animals. So, while I'm not at all sure of the degree of any of the interactive capabilities of the various tortoise species, I'll bet you there's a lot more there than just lust for food.

Just my two cents.

Doug

Actually my reply was meant for Ascot...

Doug

alex_ornelas

Location (City and/or State)
newark ca
I agree that even though we may not know a whole lot about torts their is something more to them than just the just for food. I bet I'm not the only one on this forum that looks at their tortoise and believes that their tortoise can fell love and love us back in certain ways we just may not recognize as their form of affection. Or i could just be crazy about that last part.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I have a little story, my tortoise was walking in the opposite direction and was already fed for the day, while he was still walking I called his name and told him to come here, he perked his head and turned a little and then turned around and walked right up to me and just sat there staring up at me.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
RussianTortxo said:
I have a little story, my tortoise was walking in the opposite direction and was already fed for the day, while he was still walking I called his name and told him to come here, he perked his head and turned a little and then turned around and walked right up to me and just sat there staring up at me.

Can you get this on video? It would be interesting to see it

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
My tortoise, Penny, seems to have learned several phrases.

Penny
Kitty
Boots
Greens
Mazuri
Papa
Penny where's the kitty?

The last one is hysterical. She likes to sniff cats, stuff her face in their fur, and generally invade their personal space.

She follows is around the house, and even appears to get jealous when we baby talk to the cats, and will come and stand on a my foot and stare at me, until I pet get.

We joke that she thinks herself a cat.

Sent from my Coolpad Flo using Tapatalk

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The sulcata that have come to me ready for the heated box and pasture grazing have limited interaction with me. They could careless one way or the other.
Fred on the other hand needed one on one time for the better part of a year or so, and he sees me and heads straight over. He does the same with Karen, my wife, who has very limited interactions with “my tortoises". Because he looks up and heads over, she will look for a dandelion blossom and hold it for him, so he's learning too.
My question is the opposite of yours. Is it possible for a tortoise to train a new behavior in a human? Even without making a sound?

alex_ornelas

newark ca
ElfDa said:
My tortoise, Penny, seems to have learned several phrases.

Penny
Kitty
Boots
Greens
Mazuri
Papa
Penny where's the kitty?

The last one is hysterical. She likes to sniff cats, stuff her face in their fur, and generally invade their personal space.

She follows is around the house, and even appears to get jealous when we baby talk to the cats, and will come and stand on a my foot and stare at me, until I pet get.

We joke that she thinks herself a cat.

I would love to see a video of her thats just adorable

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Excellent point/consideration, Cowboy Ken. Truly makes me smile about the question of who is teaching whom?

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Elfda, that is so adorable. I have a queen sized bed that sits on the floor and my sisters dog was laying on my bed and I was holding Arnold and wanted to see how Arnold reacted with a dog and both my dogs are scared of him, they don't know what he is so they just run off, which is obviously better this way incase if it was reversed and they had an interest..but anyways, I let Arnold walk to my sisters shih Tzu on my bed and he walked right up to the dog and the dog for scared and tried using his face to cover Arnold with my blanket. It was so weird yet so hilarious that I was laughing so hard that it happened too quickly to film it. Afterwards Arnold continued to crawl to Charlie and even lowered his head to "sniff" ( looked as if he was trying to sniff the dog) tortoises are so weird yet so unique in their own way. I think Arnold has selective hearing because when I say his name when he is on my lap he will turn his head and look up at me yet when he's in his enclosure walking around or just sitting in a spot, I will call him to walk to me and sometimes he does but other times not. And he always eats at noon everyday so I think he is used to his schedule by now to know that when I'm calling him, it's not to eat. I personally think when I call him and he comes to me is when he just wants to have some attention.

Also is yawning of a tortoise normal? At the Tampa zoo, I saw a huge tortoise yawn and saw my aquatic turtles yawn (before I gave them to a better home that had more swimming space available than a tank) and even see Arnold yawn every once in awhile. I don't know if they yawn like us humans do or if it's indication of being sick, but I always chuckle when I see it happen cause you see their little tongue and it's just so cute!

I am always checking on my tortoise and often stay in my room just to make sure he's doing well and so I personally think he has recognized my face and my voice since I interact with him and hold him everyday and give him his soaks and food and etc. I think my tortoise makes a great addition to my life. Gives me something to love more than myself, and put him first before everything, like he is my kid while I wait to have human kids. ;)

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
I have a video floating around Facebook of Penny reacting to "Penny, where's the kitty?" I'll dig it up. :p

We have a full sized futon on the floor, and when we sleep in late, she'll come and find us. XD

What baffles me is how she reacts totally differently toward my identical twin sister. Won't even come out of her shell-- but as soon as I say her name, her head pops right out!

The phrase "aww, it's okay, Penn'!" will make her slowly poke her head out and look around.

Some day I'm going to wake up to a tortoise sleeping on my feet. She has already slept beside the futon, probably because she's seen the cats do it.

Oh she also hoards cat toys. In her hide box. That she never uses.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Star-of-India said:
You know, Alex, I was brought up by a very scientific couple, happened to be my parents, both college educated bio-sci people. My father a Harvard Biology PhD and professor of botany (actually vegetable crops) at UC. Davis. He'd be 99 this July if he were still around and I was told constantly to not anthropomorphize animals as that was wrong and that was the science of the time.

Nowadays it is beginning to be understood in evolutionary science that our very special attributes as humans, while in many ways peculiar to us as humans, have a basis in the behavior and genomes of other animals. So, while I'm not at all sure of the degree of any of the interactive capabilities of the various tortoise species, I'll bet you there's a lot more there than just lust for food.

Just my two cents.

Doug

Actually my reply was meant for Ascot...

Doug

Couldn't agree more. So many people talk about how for years and years tortoise care was wrong and how they have discovered or adopted the "new" way because of the bad science. So while they readily accept that, they are unwilling to even entertain that they might be wrong concerning the behavior and itelligence of tortoises. Here is what I know from my brief experience. My sick baby box turtles used to eat from my hand. When I started giving them shots every day, they started running from me? Learned behavior? They got well and continued to hide for a few weeks and now, they will come when I call again and eat from my hand once more. Huh? So it would appear that they know that I am no longer giving shots with their food and they are not hesitant to come forward now? My sulcatas will sit under their lamp when I look in on them. Don't move a bit. But if I knock on the side of the table they run as fast as they can to the food stone without seeing food. I used to have to pick them up from the back of the table with a back scratcher because I can't reach. Now I call them to come and they do so. Interesting though, is that they will not respond to me in any way when they are out in their play yard on the patio. It is almost like they are children that do not want to come in at night. My Leos kind of just sit around like pretty rocks so with them I have no idea, lol.

alex_ornelas

newark ca
RussianTortxo said:
Elfda, that is so adorable. I have a queen sized bed that sits on the floor and my sisters dog was laying on my bed and I was holding Arnold and wanted to see how Arnold reacted with a dog and both my dogs are scared of him, they don't know what he is so they just run off, which is obviously better this way incase if it was reversed and they had an interest..but anyways, I let Arnold walk to my sisters shih Tzu on my bed and he walked right up to the dog and the dog for scared and tried using his face to cover Arnold with my blanket. It was so weird yet so hilarious that I was laughing so hard that it happened too quickly to film it. Afterwards Arnold continued to crawl to Charlie and even lowered his head to "sniff" ( looked as if he was trying to sniff the dog) tortoises are so weird yet so unique in their own way. I think Arnold has selective hearing because when I say his name when he is on my lap he will turn his head and look up at me yet when he's in his enclosure walking around or just sitting in a spot, I will call him to walk to me and sometimes he does but other times not. And he always eats at noon everyday so I think he is used to his schedule by now to know that when I'm calling him, it's not to eat. I personally think when I call him and he comes to me is when he just wants to have some attention.

Also is yawning of a tortoise normal? At the Tampa zoo, I saw a huge tortoise yawn and saw my aquatic turtles yawn (before I gave them to a better home that had more swimming space available than a tank) and even see Arnold yawn every once in awhile. I don't know if they yawn like us humans do or if it's indication of being sick, but I always chuckle when I see it happen cause you see their little tongue and it's just so cute!

I am always checking on my tortoise and often stay in my room just to make sure he's doing well and so I personally think he has recognized my face and my voice since I interact with him and hold him everyday and give him his soaks and food and etc. I think my tortoise makes a great addition to my life. Gives me something to love more than myself, and put him first before everything, like he is my kid while I wait to have human kids. ;)

I totally agree with the whole child thing i consider my sulcata as my child and i treat him like a fragile baby xD. One thing ive experienced is he was in my bak yard and bout to eat something he wasn't supposed to and he dropped it and kinda went in his shell and looked at me as if he was in trouble. And when ever im holding him he's out of his shell but as soon as someone else touches him he's in his shell and timid. They are quite unique animals. If i don't say so myself
I

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have to say, after watching that box turtle video yesterday, I'm a little more open to the idea that tortoises and turtles are capable of greater intelligence than they are often given credit for. I think many of us know that intuitively, but may be, like myself, unable to explain why or even work with the animals enough to really find out. I know what I'm going to be doing when my kids are grown up! Hahaha

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
This morning I went to see Arnold as he was walking around his enclosure and I put my hand in and he walked over to my hand and was rubbing his face on me :)

Briony Wright

If my youngest, Isla, is up to mischief and I call her name she usually either walks up to me or turns around and walks away to do something else

Alaskamike

South Florida
This discussion has been had here several times in different forms. What do tortoises think ? Feel? Know?
All we have to go on is what we observe ( behavior - response to stimuli) and what we know of their needs ( food, heat, sunlight, safety, water). The rest is fun speculation.

There is an amazing video on U- tube of a retired man who takes his large sulcata for a daily walk. A mile or more. Through neighborhoods on the sidewalk. He grazes on grass and visits a park along the way. It follows him like a dog. Habit? Training? Attachment? Who knows.

We are always learning new things about animals. :)

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
As mentioned above, animals commonly associate you with food. However, I observe and spend time with my Russian tortoises frequently. I limit the amount that I handle them, due to the fact that I would hate to put them under stress, but I have noticed a difference over the past months. They definitely "know" who I am compared to other folks around the household. They squirm and flee from others a lot more than they do with me. It makes me feel special, but then I realize that I'm just a walking salad bar for them!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think they hear regular sounds like we do. More like vibrations.
I remember back at school we learnt that torts do not hear voices and sounds. Therefore, how are they to recognize their names? After I got a tort I confirmed that torts do not hear: I'd call my tort, make different sounds, and so on, but there would be no reaction whatsoever from my tort's side.

At the same time I have read that torts do hear: researchers and scientists do disagree and this is normal. This is not
:<3:mathematics :<3:where: 1+1=2 and no two persons can disagree.