Ready to eat turtle bites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Does anyone know anything about Nature Zone Turtle Bites? Would they be good as a supplemental food for leos?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Sorry, don't know anything about that food. I supplement with Mazuri. I've tried a few others, like grasslands pellets, but mine don't like them. They will climb over each other for a bite of mazuri though.[/align]

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Greg T said:
Sorry, don't know anything about that food. I supplement with Mazuri. I've tried a few others, like grasslands pellets, but mine don't like them. They will climb over each other for a bite of mazuri though.[/align]

I have Mazuri too, but I ordered the bites just to see what they'd be like. They smell very strongly of fruit, which makes me speculate about what type of ingredients they have. Might just stick to the safe stuff (Mazuri), but was curious if anyone else had used the bites. Have you ever tried canned food, or dehydrated food?
Also- is it harmful if they nibble on the sphagnum moss? I caught Sonne munching on it last night. . . .?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I actually have a can of food, but I haven't opened it yet to try it. I feed mine a daily offering of spring mix lettuce and green leaf lettuce and add some mazuri pellets a few days a week. They spend the rest of their day munching my grass and plants in the backyard. If I don't pick up the dog poop, they will eat that also. I'm not sure about moss, but I doubt it is bad for them. Mine seem to avoid the plants they don't like and eat the ones they do like down to the ground! :)

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Greg T said:
I actually have a can of food, but I haven't opened it yet to try it. I feed mine a daily offering of spring mix lettuce and green leaf lettuce and add some mazuri pellets a few days a week. They spend the rest of their day munching my grass and plants in the backyard. If I don't pick up the dog poop, they will eat that also. I'm not sure about moss, but I doubt it is bad for them. Mine seem to avoid the plants they don't like and eat the ones they do like down to the ground! :)

Did you raise all of your torts from hatchlings?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I don't feed my tortoises anything but grasses, weeds, flowers, and spring mix. My grassland and Mediterranean tortoises get no fruit, except figs or cactus pears once or twice a YEAR, literally. I do not believe in using prepared diets at all. No tortoise out in the wild is eating grain fillers.

If you are going to supplement, stick with Mazuri. It is the best one out there. I have a small amount that I use to help convert new tortoises over to a more natural diet, but that is it.

Babies are curious and will taste test almost anything that you put in the enclosure. A nibble here and there is probably okay, but if Sonne is eating it in excess, I would try broadening the variety in his diet, because he may be lacking something.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Pete, No I got the two younger ones when they were 1-2 years old. My older one was a rescue and she was 4 or 5. I haven't dealt with the trials of raising them from a baby.

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
my leopard, Penelope, won't *touch* the grassland stuff-- glad to know she's not alone!

Mazuri, huh?
Once she's big enough (and I have a yard), she'll be nomming grass and weeds and things, until then, I'm trying to find ways to get plenty of fiber in her diet.

Greg T said:

Status
Not open for further replies.