Ray passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

About two months my male hingeback, Ray, stopped eating (we thought bullying was going on so he was separated), no matter what we did he would not eat and just got worse. Long story short the last few days he was being syringe fed and yesterday I got up and checked on him and he had passed during the night. My husband and I are very upset about this, we did everything we could to try and save him, though everything seemed to be just a little too late.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Very sorry to hear about Ray. I know that you must feel terrible, but at least you did all you could for him.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately this happens very often with Hingebacks. Because of the stress of being taken from the wild and being imported, many just give up in captive situations, despite the best of care.

Don't give up, just keep your eyes out for a LTC that is looking for a good home. I'll keep an eye out for you as well.

S

Scooter

Thank you everyone.

Marty, I am unsure of his age as he was a wild caught import.

Kristina, LTC? I will be on the look out though right this minute there is not a rush.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Long Term Captive. In other words, the touchy first year has already passed, and they are acclimated to captivity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Charlotte: That's awful! I'm so very sorry.

moswen

5 Year Member
oh i'm so sorry for your loss. and with such a species as what you had, every hingeback is so necessary to captive breeding so that we can have more cb babies, i'm so sorry!

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so very sorry to read about this. Please accept my condolences...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( :( *hugs* Charlotte, I am so sorry to read this thread. Deep down you know you did everything you could for him, so stop feeling any sense of guilt or having any of those "what ifs", "if onlies", "coulda", and "shouldas". We are only humans and somethings are out of our hands. Death happens to all things, just not always when WE feel they should. Just like humans in healthy situations can get sick and die even with all our impressive health knowledge on them, so too do tortoises. When your ready, there will be another male hingeback so desperately in need of the caring loving home you offer all your critters.

S

Scooter

Jacqui said:
:( :( *hugs* Charlotte, I am so sorry to read this thread. Deep down you know you did everything you could for him, so stop feeling any sense of guilt or having any of those "what ifs", "if onlies", "coulda", and "shouldas". We are only humans and somethings are out of our hands. Death happens to all things, just not always when WE feel they should. Just like humans in healthy situations can get sick and die even with all our impressive health knowledge on them, so too do tortoises. When your ready, there will be another male hingeback so desperately in need of the caring loving home you offer all your critters.

Jacqui, thanks, I was going through all the "what ifs" "coulds" and "shouldas". Deep down I know everything that could have been done for him was done. He will always have a special place in my heart. I still have a desire to have a breeding group of Home's, those plans have just been pushed back for now.

Thank you everyone for your condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.