One of my Indian Stars passed away

mkdavies

Location (City and/or State)
Glen Allen, VA
Unfortunately one of my Indian Star Tortoises passed away this weekend. It was really hard on my family and it was only 6 months old but it was very tiny and it’s legs were so tiny it had a difficult time lifting itself to use the bathroom and I found myself cleaning its bottom a lot. We got a second Indian Star 3 months after we got our first one and the newer one was almost double the size. We did everything we were supposed to with humidity, heat, vitamins and everything but we just couldn’t get it to grow at all over the 5 months we had it. It was incredibly sad to see it passed away after only 2 hours earlier seeing it eating, it just happened so suddenly. Here is a picture of it less than a week ago, she passed exactly at 6 months old to the day :(

Attachments

• 7E9712F6-E5C3-4003-A841-D68E27CDF656.jpeg
    7E9712F6-E5C3-4003-A841-D68E27CDF656.jpeg
    735.4 KB · Views: 26

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
This is just heartbreaking! So sweet and innocent!

It kind of sounds like failure to thrive, but who knows?

I'm just so sorry. Hugs to all ?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
It does sound like failure to thrive. I am so sorry that you lost your baby. At least the other one is growing and thriving.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I’m so sorry for your loss. It truly is heartbreaking...

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I’m sorry for your loss. I don’t like to use the term “failure to thrive” as it somehow puts the fault on nature. It is very rare that hatchlings are born with deformities that will cause them to die (they usually die within a few weeks of hatching if not earlier), most cases of “failure to thrive” are actually due to the way they were started as a hatchling. So it really should be failure of the breeder. Many things can go wrong in the first few days if the breeder doesn’t start them off right. There are many breeders, most on here that start them of correctly and all their hatchlings thrive without any issue.