Our beloved Buggy passed away

VlastaRichter

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, PA
This is with a heavy heart…our beloved Buggy, 16 year old T. Hermanni, passed away. He escaped his outdoor enclosure two days ago, and after exhausting search everywhere in our yard (2,5 acres), we found him by the road, hit by a car or a truck. He was probably attempting to cross over to the state park that’s across our house.
I would have never thought he’d travelled that far, across wide open spaces, let alone towards the road.
My heart is crushed, and I blame myself for not providing him with a 100 secured enclosure. We got so comfortable with him outside, he loved it out there and never tried to dig or escape before.
This is so hard and devastating.
He was our very first pet with my husband together, we got him as a tiny baby. He travelled from Czech Republic to Canada, where we moved to, and later to PA, USA on our recent move. Since he was CITES registered, how it where do I report his death? Does anybody know?
I’m heartbroken 💔

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss. Hopefully an expert will be able to help you with the paperwork.

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
I'm so sorry you lost your beloved Buggy, my heart goes out to you ❤️ losing a part of the family is heart breaking I've been there too many times so know exactly what you're going through.
Thank you, it hurts so much. I’m playing in my head all the what ifs but I know it’s too late now. I hope he didn’t suffer. Such cruel death, it’s so painful to think about.

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
Sorry for your loss. Hopefully an expert will be able to help you with the paperwork.
Thank you, it’s absolutely devastating, up until that money of finding him, I kept hope that he’s going to show up or we were going to find him, alive. I am trying to search what to do in this case, I’m order to have all the CITES paperwork in order.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I don't know anything about the paperwork, however I do know about the loss of a tortoise, tragically. I am sorry for your loss. @Yvonne G @Maro2Bear or @Tom might be able to help you with the paperwork.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. That's a long time and many travels together.
Thanks for sharing this. It will help others to always check the torts enclosure for breakage and/or escapes.
I have a Russian I have to keep close tabs on.
Again, so very sorry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He probably died very quickly and suddenly, while enjoying his "new found freedom". And I am sure that he would have said that he was a very well loved and treasured pet of yours! Thank you for all the years of caring for him. So many don't get that level of nurturing, so he was a lucky fellow. But of course it is hard for you, and we share your feelings. RIP, Buggy.

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
He probably died very quickly and suddenly, while enjoying his "new found freedom". And I am sure that he would have said that he was a very well loved and treasured pet of yours! Thank you for all the years of caring for him. So many don't get that level of nurturing, so he was a lucky fellow. But of course it is hard for you, and we share your feelings. RIP, Buggy.
Thank you for such kind words. I still blame myself or what happened, I could have done better. He is so missed!

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
So very sorry. That's a long time and many travels together.
Thanks for sharing this. It will help others to always check the torts enclosure for breakage and/or escapes.
I have a Russian I have to keep close tabs on.
Again, so very sorry.
Thank you for your condolences. Yes, he literally travelled the world, he was so easy going and just the kindest pet. I could have done better and will not forgive myself allowing his escape to happen and, ultimately, costing him his life. He is so missed!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your condolences. Yes, he literally travelled the world, he was so easy going and just the kindest pet. I could have done better and will not forgive myself allowing his escape to happen and, ultimately, costing him his life. He is so missed!
Don't blame yourself. They are tricky little buggers. Once you think you have them figured out, they throw a wrench into it.
If you would have known, you would have prevented it.
Even when we do our do diligence they find a way to do what they want. My Russian has escaped three times. Luckily I have gotten him back each time. I still have no idea how he got out. I just added more barriers each time. I think the wild rabbits are helping him some how. Lol.
I do check his enclosure often because of those escapes. That doesn't mean I'll find an escape route before he does.
You gave your shelled traveler a good life.

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
Don't blame yourself. They are tricky little buggers. Once you think you have them figured out, they throw a wrench into it.
If you would have known, you would have prevented it.
Even when we do our do diligence they find a way to do what they want. My Russian has escaped three times. Luckily I have gotten him back each time. I still have no idea how he got out. I just added more barriers each time. I think the wild rabbits are helping him some how. Lol.
I do check his enclosure often because of those escapes. That doesn't mean I'll find an escape route before he does.
You gave your shelled traveler a good life.
He was so loved, it’s just hitting me really hard, because this year in February, we lost our first family cat, Oskar, whom we had for 16 years and both him and Buggy were growing up together and doing all these adventures with.
I’m very happy for you, that you were able to find your tort all those times he escaped. You are truly blessed!
I had a feeling that something bad might have happened to him, second day into the frantic search. In my wildest dreams, I wouldn’t have imagined him going towards the state road. I really thought him being such home body, staying close to the house. No, he was determined to get across the road to the state park. We live in PA, so I know there are wild box turtles, so maybe he smelled them? I don’t know. So many ifs and should haves

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
This is with a heavy heart…our beloved Buggy, 16 year old T. Hermanni, passed away. He escaped his outdoor enclosure two days ago, and after exhausting search everywhere in our yard (2,5 acres), we found him by the road, hit by a car or a truck. He was probably attempting to cross over to the state park that’s across our house.
I would have never thought he’d travelled that far, across wide open spaces, let alone towards the road.
My heart is crushed, and I blame myself for not providing him with a 100 secured enclosure. We got so comfortable with him outside, he loved it out there and never tried to dig or escape before.
This is so hard and devastating.
He was our very first pet with my husband together, we got him as a tiny baby. He travelled from Czech Republic to Canada, where we moved to, and later to PA, USA on our recent move. Since he was CITES registered, how it where do I report his death? Does anybody know?
I’m heartbroken 💔
😭
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I'm so sorry for your loss , , ,words really can't convey the sadness at the loss of one of our tort kids. I too have escape artist's . . A Leopard named Seymour and a new to me Russian, Named Junior. I have walked my fence line to assure myself that my two kids would not be able to get to the street, or a neighbors yard. Seymour has been missing for a month before. When He's gone, I just pray . . and pray some more . .
Once again, you and your family have my sympathy's . .

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Very sorry for your loss it is heartbreaking. Take care and you be proud you both provided him a lovely life.

Re CITES I guess you have a certificate and a local vet but here is a link that may help you?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I had a Russian tortoise, Gus. I thought he got out of his enclosure. I dug around the pen for a couple of days. He dug into a fire ant colony and died the day after I found him.

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
I had a Russian tortoise, Gus. I thought he got out of his enclosure. I dug around the pen for a couple of days. He dug into a fire ant colony and died the day after I found him.
I’m so sorry that happened, that is just terrible!

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
Very sorry for your loss it is heartbreaking. Take care and you be proud you both provided him a lovely life.

Re CITES I guess you have a certificate and a local vet but here is a link that may help you?
Thank you! I do have his original birth certificate/CITES registration, the site is really confusing so I called US FWS and they are supposed to call me back from the endangered species dept. My mom in Czech is going to inquire about authorities there since that’s the original country we got him from.
I’m just heartbroken.

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
I'm so sorry for your loss , , ,words really can't convey the sadness at the loss of one of our tort kids. I too have escape artist's . . A Leopard named Seymour and a new to me Russian, Named Junior. I have walked my fence line to assure myself that my two kids would not be able to get to the street, or a neighbors yard. Seymour has been missing for a month before. When He's gone, I just pray . . and pray some more . .
Once again, you and your family have my sympathy's . .
Oh no, please keep your watchful eye on alert all the time. See, after 17 years of having him, I thought I knew him very well, until 2 days ago when he decided to go on an adventure. I was so hopeful that he was just burrowed somewhere, keeping cool in these hot temperatures. He was our first “child” when we first were dating, my husband and I. It’s so crushing!!!