Raccoons

edwardbo

5 Year Member
What do you guys do about big enclosures and raccoons ? Do you think an electric fence will do the trick?...trying to find a place to rent haveaheart traps , but not having much luck .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I so far have not had a coon in my area. It could eventually happen though. Most people lock their tortoise up at night in a secure hide. This is the best way to protect them from night time visitors.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a strong secure night box is the best way to go

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Hey you guys , haven't posted in years ,but still check TF every morning with my coffee . Wish I new how to post pictures , but my enclosure is huge with a pond ,bridge and heavily planted .it is one of my few pleasures .the torts are so established and have their preferred hiding spots however gathering them up at night would be next to impossible .
Chris Leone showed some pics and I saw electric fencing incorporated ,I'm thinking that's my only option at this time.
Now that I'm back I'll be commenting on some post .i think it was Michael put up some charts on temps ,wind chill and brumation .more on that later ,so much to do ....also wishing I was in Daytona for the reptile show,wanted to catch up with vic Morgan ,Anthony from the turtle room and other tort idols,anyway is there any members at the show that could let us know what's going on ? Thanks again .i know this should be separate post but I'm rushing to get everything done ,love yas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a fairly large box turtle pen and the box turtles just dig in at night, anyplace they want to. There's no way I would be able to find them all and lock them up.

I sometimes see dead raccoon on the road in my neighborhood, but I've never had a raccoon problem on my property. I have a big dog, and I figured, even though she's in the house most of the time, she has her scent all over the property.

Well, about a month ago I started seeing dead box turtles. The shells were empty and it was fresh kill. There was one a night. This went on for about a week before I realized I had to do something. I hesitated to use a trap because I have a whole bunch of cats and I didn't want to be catching them every night. I didn't rent a trap, I bought a trap. You can buy them at any feed store or farm and ranch store. They don't cost much. Anyway, I put all five of my dead box turtle shells in the trap and set it in the box turtle yard. I knew the dead shells wouldn't attract the cats. Well, I caught a raccoon.

My next door neighbor was kind enough to take it away and release it far enough away from here that she wouldn't find her way back.

No more trouble.

If you do decide to go with a hot wire, mount it along the fence where the raccoon will have to touch it to climb over. And remember, if it is able to mash the wire up against the fence, it grounds it out and the raccoon won't get shocked, so not out just an inch or so. I would mount it out from the fence a good 4", towards the top of the fence, but on the side.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Nice to hear from you Yvonne ,I have experience with horses and understand the fencing bit ,but more importantly you gave me the push to go ahead an get the trap. I saw the young pair and thought two would present a trapping problem. At this time of the year no empty shells but as weather gets cooler I'm sure the problem will grow.again so nice to touch base with you and my tort family.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Home Depot sells quality live traps for about $40 and they will last forever.
Apples attract only raccoons.
I trapped and released many and found that the only real answer was to shoot them.
They had taken over the neighborhood and the inside of my attic and AC ductwork.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
I know your very right zero pilot ,just got home and am unboxing the trap .it will have to do .for now.....what bothers me most is that the torts know something is up and are not their usual busy body's looking for food and attention ,sometimes they are watching thru a window at me in my office and it's pretty far away.there was just a post about them hearing ,can't tell,but they sure can see a good distance .

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
That's great advice, zero pilot. I never thought of that. Apples, of course!

T.G.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You'll need more than a broom if you don't want them to keep coming back.
A pitch fork works well, and the scream of the one you nail sends a good message to those that get away. Speaking of mother's, my Mom's Koi ponds was ravaged by raccoons for months and the local pest control guy had a good thing going with charging his fee. I know it sounds grizzly, I like animals, but raccoons are subsided garbage animals for whom most natural predators have been removed by people. I figure the pitch fork was no less bad than a mountain lion, coyote, or wolf. I don't like raccoons.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i find dogs work pretty well ....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a thread about them a while back.
i was trying to be kind and relocate mine.They tore up trash bags, ate kittens and stole baby chickens. They ate fish from my fish ponds and chased my dog in his own yard,
I removed the family from my attic area and sealed up the vent that they had used to get in.
A few days later they were back and this time they actually removed some roof shingles and some 3/4" thick roofing plywood and ripped a new hole in the middle of my roof.
It became war at that point and they lost.
There hasn't been a single raccoon seen in my housing development. I had a months long campaign of trapping and humanely shooting them.
There is no kind way of dealing with them.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Will,thank you for commenting your a legend in your loftyness and I agree with you.
Zero pilot thank you ,hope other people realize the damage and cost these things pose.
Mark 1,again I agree but I have no dogs at this time.
After breaking my neck and throwing my back out trying to collect my collection , all is well after a night inside .what a smelly mess, but all are accounted for and many are back to normal sunning ,cruzing around and trying to look into the window.
How I miss my younger days that are long gone.....I would build smaller more manageable enclosures ,I simply can't lift the boulders and sculpted logs,dig slow moving streams .....people,if nothing else learn from the experts here ,these animals are not the easiest to keep,or an inexpensive past time....today is a good day ,now to find and borrow a gun ,Brian in wi. Start boiling the water for your shredded coon,....I'll keep you all posted .thank you

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
You need the recipe?

First, you boil the coon for an hour, skimming the fat from the top. After the hour, change the water and do it again. After another hour, change the water and skim the fat again. Remove from water and let rest until room temperature.

Once done boiling, season it with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili peppers, garlic and onion powder. Place it in a paper bag and put in the oven at 275F for 9 hours. Take it out of the bag, tie it to a hickory board. Coat with Worcestershire sauce. Place board over a charcoal fire and cook for 45 more minutes. Remove from fire, rotate raccoon, then coat with BBQ sauce and cook for another 20 minutes.

After that, take the raccoon off the board, throw away the raccoon and eat the board.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
After that, take the raccoon off the board, throw away the raccoon and eat the board.

You don't even want to eat that board. I ate Raccoon at Sere training, It was HORRIBLE. Kill them and dispose....