Drat...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I didn't think we had raccoons in our area any more, but apparently we do. We had been having problems with an armadillo digging up our yard, so hubby had a trap set. We never caught any armadillos, but yesterday we caught 2 juvenile raccoons! :( They're cute as can be, but I did a little research and saw where someone's 12 year old leopard tortoise was killed by raccoons. These little guys will get relocated about 12 miles away and Elsa will get locked in her night house again on a routine basis! :(

Nicole M

5 Year Member
I had no idea there were raccoons where I live until I saw two babies eating out of a trash can nearby... I've found them at some point in nearly every state I've been to.

Netted fencing (on all sides and as a roof) in an enclosure is the only way I can think to raccoon-proof an outdoor tort enclosure, but I think your right to keep your tortoise indoors at night. I'm a worry wart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you caught 2 juveniles, that means there's a mom and a dad and maybe more siblings. I recently caught a pregnant female that had been feasting on my box turtles.

Nicole M

5 Year Member
If you caught 2 juveniles, that means there's a mom and a dad and maybe more siblings. I recently caught a pregnant female that had been feasting on my box turtles.
Oh, that's awful! How many turtles did you lose?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, but I really didn't mean to derail Moozillion's thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bea.
Use apples in your trap.
It's the only animal I'm aware of that is crazy about apples.
I caught dozens of cats, etc. before I figured that out.
Raccoons are just the worst.
Don't hesitate.

Thanks for this tip. I have 5 cats and they're the main reason I don't trap unless I really have to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn't think we had raccoons in our area any more, but apparently we do. We had been having problems with an armadillo digging up our yard, so hubby had a trap set. We never caught any armadillos, but yesterday we caught 2 juvenile raccoons! :( They're cute as can be, but I did a little research and saw where someone's 12 year old leopard tortoise was killed by raccoons. These little guys will get relocated about 12 miles away and Elsa will get locked in her night house again on a routine basis! :(

They might come back from a distance of only 12 miles. If not they will likely die of starvation or be killed by the residents of the new territory. Relocating problem animals often feels good to the people doing it, it it almost always results in a slow painful death for the relocated animals. Humane euthanasia is considered a better option by some people. Just throwing that out there for your consideration.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Bea.
Use apples in your trap.
Don't hesitate.
Thanks! We'll step up our trapping efforts.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
They might come back from a distance of only 12 miles. If not they will likely die of starvation or be killed by the residents of the new territory. Relocating problem animals often feels good to the people doing it, it it almost always results in a slow painful death for the relocated animals. Humane euthanasia is considered a better option by some people. Just throwing that out there for your consideration.
Do you think a regular vet would likely be able to do the euthanasia?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think a regular vet would likely be able to do the euthanasia?

I don't know if they will, but they can.

There are a lot of strong feelings on this issue, and no easy answer. Many people won't even consider killing native animals that are a problem. Many realize there is a problem, and opt for trapping and relocation to a more "wild" area, but I already explained the problem with that. So what is a person to do? Allow them to kill your pets and destroy your living space? Move them, knowing what is most likely to happen? Kill them? Trap them and have someone else kill them? Attempt to keep them out or repel them?

I take this on a case by case basis. On my ranch and in my situation, all gophers that enter my property will be killed without hesitation. They can live their lives freely and happily anywhere they want in the vast wilderness right outside my walls. Same with ground squirrels and cottontails. Raccoons don't bother me as they won't come into my place because of the dogs, lack of cover, and constant human activity. Other predators also deter the coons around my place. That, coupled with the fact that my tortoises are safely locked in their boxes all night, means I don't have to deal with them, so I can leave the coons alone.

Raccoons are usually very nocturnal, and they usually don't destroy the garden. Is it a possibility to just lock up all the chelonians at night, out of reach of the raccoons? If there is no available food source, they'd have no reason to hang around your place. I am sort of middle of the road in this debate. I will kill pest species of wildlife in some situations when it is necessary due to over population and the damage they do, but I will go out of my way to protect other species that are not a problem, and do everything possible to spare them.

Rattlesnakes are a good example. I have trouble getting upset at a person with children and animals killing a rattlesnake on or around their property. But I would scream an unholy rant at the same person for killing a harmless gopher or king snake. I was ready to pummel a jackass at the sporting clays range who took a shot at a bat one night, exclaiming like a complete idiot: "If it flies it dies…" Oh the tirade in his direction was as eloquent as it was loud. He never did that again, nor did anyone else at that range.

I'm rambling now. I hope there was something helpful to you in my ramblings.

Rowlet

5 Year Member
SoCal
The local wildlife use our property as a short cut, so I've been looking into flashing light night deterrents. Below is a review. One of these might stop the raccoons.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't know if they will, but they can.

There are a lot of strong feelings on this issue, and no easy answer. Many people won't even consider killing native animals that are a problem. Many realize there is a problem, and opt for trapping and relocation to a more "wild" area, but I already explained the problem with that. So what is a person to do? Allow them to kill your pets and destroy your living space? Move them, knowing what is most likely to happen? Kill them? Trap them and have someone else kill them? Attempt to keep them out or repel them?

I take this on a case by case basis. On my ranch and in my situation, all gophers that enter my property will be killed without hesitation. They can live their lives freely and happily anywhere they want in the vast wilderness right outside my walls. Same with ground squirrels and cottontails. Raccoons don't bother me as they won't come into my place because of the dogs, lack of cover, and constant human activity. Other predators also deter the coons around my place. That, coupled with the fact that my tortoises are safely locked in their boxes all night, means I don't have to deal with them, so I can leave the coons alone.

Raccoons are usually very nocturnal, and they usually don't destroy the garden. Is it a possibility to just lock up all the chelonians at night, out of reach of the raccoons? If there is no available food source, they'd have no reason to hang around your place. I am sort of middle of the road in this debate. I will kill pest species of wildlife in some situations when it is necessary due to over population and the damage they do, but I will go out of my way to protect other species that are not a problem, and do everything possible to spare them.

Rattlesnakes are a good example. I have trouble getting upset at a person with children and animals killing a rattlesnake on or around their property. But I would scream an unholy rant at the same person for killing a harmless gopher or king snake. I was ready to pummel a jackass at the sporting clays range who took a shot at a bat one night, exclaiming like a complete idiot: "If it flies it dies…" Oh the tirade in his direction was as eloquent as it was loud. He never did that again, nor did anyone else at that range.

I'm rambling now. I hope there was something helpful to you in my ramblings.
You described some of my exact thoughts, Tom. Since my Hermann's
is my only outdoor chelonian, locking her up at night may be the easiest solution. Thanks bunches! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Bea.
Use apples in your trap.
Don't hesitate.
THANKS!!! :)