Outdoor enclosure and raccoons

MyTrek

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ohio, USA
Hello!
I am in Ohio, (USA) and the summers here have what I think are a few good months for outdoor living for tortoises. I do have one big concern though, raccoons!

Anyone have any experience with outdoor enclosures to protect tortoises? I know when I lived in NY the raccoons would break into the chicken enclosure and go after the hens. I am thinking our safest option is to just take the tortoise outside daily this summer and put him back in his tank at night.

Thank you for your feedback!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You can put him out all day and bring him inside at night.

You can keep him outside full time but lock him up in a "tort house" every night.

You can fully cover your outdoor enclosure with hardware cloth to keep any Raccoons out day or night.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
I live in Pennsylvania and have raccoons. I recommend an enclosure with a wire lid/top. I use chicken wire on my outdoor space and thankfully my neighbors' dogs keep wildlife away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Every evening I make the rounds of my tortoises' yards and make sure everyone is inside their shed/house. I close the doors and latch them so they can't be opened.

LABZOO

I am thinking of buying a dog kennel with a roof. I would put up a second wall, a good 4 inches around the perimeter as a second barrier- coons have long arms and will pull animals THROUGH the fence if they get their hands on them. I have had falcons ripped through fencing this way. NOT pretty. Also, coons can get out of pretty much ANYTHING and I have yet to outsmart one so keepings them out is just as tricky. I would also burry the base in the ground and put wood up around the base. Post pics when you have it set up :)
Cheers

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
I'm in Wisconsin and have worried about the same thing! Being slightly paranoid and a worrier, I decided I'd sleep better with Wilson, my russian, in at night... so that is the route I'm going to take once it warms up and I get his outdoor enclosure built!

MyTrek

Oxford, Ohio, USA
I never want to repeat the carnage that I saw when the raccoons got my chickens at my old house. The chickens that managed to get out of the enclosure the raccoons pried open did not make it far. One was even standing with no head! I have been scouring the forum and looking at the enclosures people build. (I am so grateful for the pictures.) What I have gleaned is that if I kept my tortoise outside at night in the warmer months I will need a significant tortoise house (more than a hide) with a good lock and every night I will have to tuck my baby in and lock up. The fence is more to keep the tortoise in than to keep critters out at night. If any experienced owners want to add to this please feel free to weigh in, I am here to learn.