R.I.P Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenw91

5 Year Member
I just built my two young sulcata tortoises a nice 8x4 outdoor enclosure last night with a sturdy plastic type mesh ,Mario(the dark one) and Luigi (the light one) i keep them inside during the night time and have them outside during the day so i put them outside and i left with my mother to the dentist office to get a 4 of my impacted wisdome teeth removed i return home to find some random dog in my back yard with mario in his mouth i screamed at the dog and started running towrds him he droped mario and ran back over the wall luckly luigi was hidden inside his little brick enclosure im so devistated if anyone lives in the las vegas/ henderson area and has a sulcata that will be avaliable please let me know R.i.P mario he even knew his name and would waddle up to me when i called him :'( my emailadress is [email protected] tort.jpg20130522_092650_HDR.jpg20130522_092342.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
How terrible!! I am so sorry this happened. Please hang in there.
Hugs to you~

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm very sorry you lost your baby... It's heart wrenching to know that poor baby was killed.

Is your enclosure dog proof now? I don't want your poor Luigi to suffer the same fate :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you find that dog, you can have the owner cited for running at large.. and killing a animal,, possibly...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I am so sorry for you and Mario. If Mario was in his enclosure, how did the dog get to him? Did he rip through the enclosure? Please read Tom's thread below my name. If you need help reinforcing your enclosure, please post a thread asking for suggestions. We'd be more than happy to help you out.

darrenw91

5 Year Member
thank you all and yes the dog tore threw the 3/4 inch thick plastic top he was my little buddy he waged his tail when im caled him luigi has been searching alll around the encosure for mario :( if anyone know someone seling a sulcata for a decent price please let me know luigi wont even touch his food

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Look Darren, Luigi had just experienced an attack and is scared out of his wits. He's stressed and naturally he won't feel like eating for a while. Really, it's not because he is missing Mario, per se. If I were you, I would concentrate on Luigi now. Don't look to replace Mario because you think Luigi misses him. The reality is, Luigi is stressed from the attack. He probably is unaware of what happened to Mario. Having said that, sulcatas are tortoises that are better raised alone. Two or more together tend to compete for food, warmth, shade, etc. Even though it appeared that Mario and Luigi got along fine, believe me, there would've been a time that you may have had to separate them. Now, you have Luigi; take care of him. Rebuild your enclosure with reinforced wire and you may want to install a yard fence so that stray dogs can't attack your enclosure. For now, keep Luigi indoors until he starts eating again. Try not to handle him too much for now since he's very scared right now. Later, when you get better ideas for a stronger enclosure, then let him out for an hour or two only and under supervision. As his confidence begins to get better, you can leave him out longer. If you cannot watch him outdoors, bring him in. Again, we are here for you. Whatever help you need, just ask...we are with you!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Sorry about little Mario. Right now I'd wait on getting another tortoise until you can figure out how to keep dogs away from your little guys. Also, Luigi may be a happier tortoise without another one there to compete with.

Laura said:
if you find that dog, you can have the owner cited for running at large.. and killing a animal,, possibly...

I think you'd have more like having the owner cited for the destruction of property. I know we hate to think of our pets as mere "property" but that's generally all the law sees them as. Either way, the owners of the dog could still get in heaps of trouble for property damage.

darrenw91

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Look Darren, Luigi had just experienced an attack and is scared out of his wits. He's stressed and naturally he won't feel like eating for a while. Really, it's not because he is missing Mario, per se. If I were you, I would concentrate on Luigi now. Don't look to replace Mario because you think Luigi misses him. The reality is, Luigi is stressed from the attack. He probably is unaware of what happened to Mario. Having said that, sulcatas are tortoises that are better raised alone. Two or more together tend to compete for food, warmth, shade, etc. Even though it appeared that Mario and Luigi got along fine, believe me, there would've been a time that you may have had to separate them. Now, you have Luigi; take care of him. Rebuild your enclosure with reinforced wire and you may want to install a yard fence so that stray dogs can't attack your enclosure. For now, keep Luigi indoors until he starts eating again. Try not to handle him too much for now since he's very scared right now. Later, when you get better ideas for a stronger enclosure, then let him out for an hour or two only and under supervision. As his confidence begins to get better, you can leave him out longer. If you cannot watch him outdoors, bring him in. Again, we are here for you. Whatever help you need, just ask...we are with you!
theres a brick wall that surrounds my yard its wel over 9 feet tall im guessing the dog went over the fence which is only abot 7 ft tall

thank you everyone and I will concentrate on luigi , mario and luigi never competed for food i would always watch them eat there food and they would always have leftovers and they always slept next to eachother where one went the other would follow .

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
[DISAPPOINTED FACE] I am so sorry for your loss!

Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.