1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Questions about MBD

Discussion in 'Hermanns tortoises' started by lautanner, Aug 31, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. lautanner

lautanner New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Michigan
    Hi, guys! This is my 2 year old Hermann. I took him in because the school I was working for wasn't properly caring for him. I took him to an exotic vet (not necessarily a herpetologist, though). She said his pyramiding is not life-threatening, but I thought I'd share pics and ask what you all think. His behavior is really energetic, he is very active, has a healthy appetite, clear eyes. I know, I know, I shouldn't have him on carpet but it's never for long. How do I know if he has MBD or some other ailment? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Raymo2477

Raymo2477 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Eastern, PA, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    The tort has a bad case of MBD. Please make sure you give it UVB and some natural light if possible. It also looks like it has a lot of dried, retained skin so please soak daily.

Give it a varied diet and add some calcium powder a few times a week.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California