few questions about my tortoise

Potato_king

Location (City and/or State)
Oman
71442C5E-EF48-4076-86DE-0D1B38FAC692.jpeg

Good morning, I hope you all are doing well.
I have few questions regarding my tortoise ?
Is he an Eastern Hermann tortoise?
What do they like to eat, aside from lettuce and grape vines?
Dose he look healthy? His eyes are clear and his nostrils are clear too..he eats and walks around. When I bought him, he was in an awful condition, he was yellow and he couldn't left his shell from the ground when he walks, now he is good.
Also how often do I need to soak him?
Thank you in advance.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,
I'm not very good at IDing torts - he could be a Greek with that shell pattern - but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will know for certain.

If he is a Mediterranean species this is the most up to date caresheet you'll find anywhere that will help you with diet, temps, humidity etc.

Read that and ask as many questions as you like.

Straw and hay aren't good substrates for torts. They are too dry and stick in eyes and skin - they need something they can dig in.........the caresheet will help you with that.

If it is warm in your part of the world a luke warm soak everyday won't hurt him - he looks a little bit dry, but well done for rescuing him and wanting to do your best for him.

If you post a picture of his enclosure and lamps you'll get great advice on how to make sure he's as happy and healthy as possible.

Potato_king

Oman
Hi,
I'm not very good at IDing torts - he could be a Greek with that shell pattern - but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will know for certain.

If he is a Mediterranean species this is the most up to date caresheet you'll find anywhere that will help you with diet, temps, humidity etc.

Read that and ask as many questions as you like.

Straw and hay aren't good substrates for torts. They are too dry and stick in eyes and skin - they need something they can dig in.........the caresheet will help you with that.

If it is warm in your part of the world a luke warm soak everyday won't hurt him - he looks a little bit dry, but well done for rescuing him and wanting to do your best for him.

If you post a picture of his enclosure and lamps you'll get great advice on how to make sure he's as happy and healthy as possible.
Thank you so much for the great advice! He is in an outdoor pen, The temperature here in Oman is very high, so im depending on the natural sunlight. ?
F0E42C4F-4290-44DC-9705-C093A38F0964.jpeg
this is their pen, today I'm definitely removing the hay.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I see you have 2 torts in there, and people often think that is OK but pairs of torts should never be kept together.
They are solitary, territorial creatures and do not like or need company and competition for food basking space and water.
The stress of having to share their space will greatly affect both of them
One of then will become dominant and will start to display 'bullying' behaviour.
This starts with staring, following, nudging (some people mistake this for affection but it is an attempt to drive the other tort away) It will eventually become more aggressive with barging, tipping over, and biting. The stress can reduce the immune system and cause illness and as the bullying becomes more physically aggressive it can cause serious injury and even death.

You will even see bullying with a male and female - the male will continually pester to mate which is very miserable for her. They may meet in the wild to mate but then they go they separate ways they do not stay together.

Even groups of 3 or more torts will only work if there is a massive space where they can avoid each and not have to share anything.

So you should separate them asap and give them their own spaces. The minimum recommended space for one for the smaller species is 4 x 8 feet.

The substrate needs to be moist and deep enough for them to dig in - see the caresheet. (Not sand or anything with white bits as these can cause the gut to become impacted, or straw as explained above - it also goes mouldy which can cause illness too.

They should have fresh water and food available at all times - terracotta plant saucers sunk level with the substrate will be safe and easy for them to access and exit.
If you have a look at the enclosures thread you will get some good ideas.

Potato_king

Oman
Hi I see you have 2 torts in there, and people often think that is OK but pairs of torts should never be kept together.
They are solitary, territorial creatures and do not like or need company and competition for food basking space and water.
The stress of having to share their space will greatly affect both of them
One of then will become dominant and will start to display 'bullying' behaviour.
This starts with staring, following, nudging (some people mistake this for affection but it is an attempt to drive the other tort away) It will eventually become more aggressive with barging, tipping over, and biting. The stress can reduce the immune system and cause illness and as the bullying becomes more physically aggressive it can cause serious injury and even death.

You will even see bullying with a male and female - the male will continually pester to mate which is very miserable for her. They may meet in the wild to mate but then they go they separate ways they do not stay together.

Even groups of 3 or more torts will only work if there is a massive space where they can avoid each and not have to share anything.

So you should separate them asap and give them their own spaces. The minimum recommended space for one for the smaller species is 4 x 8 feet.

The substrate needs to be moist and deep enough for them to dig in - see the caresheet. (Not sand or anything with white bits as these can cause the gut to become impacted, or straw as explained above - it also goes mouldy which can cause illness too.

They should have fresh water and food available at all times - terracotta plant saucers sunk level with the substrate will be safe and easy for them to access and exit.
If you have a look at the enclosures thread you will get some good ideas

Hello
thank you for your advice!
i changed the hay and I'm not keeping them together because I already saw how aggressive the male is towards the female. He bites, ram and mount her in an awful way. The female’s attitude changed drastically soon after I got the male. She became depressed and very jumpy. Yesterday, l took them outside their enclosure and put them together just until i get some water, when she saw the male, she literally start running ? I have never seen a running tortoise before. The difference in size is very funny. She is bigger than him and she never defend herself, she has no personality and whatsoever.
The first day i got the male, i kept them together because I didn’t know that he will be so aggressive, but i separated them soon after. I replaced the hay with dirt and i have planted some plants inside. Tomorrow, i will put some water for them.
thank you again. ?

Last edited: