sad, sad day

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well i have been flipping out about my baby hermanns because since i brought him home all he does is sleep, twitches while asleep, and yesterday i noticed his plastron is soft. im completly devasted, ive only had the little guy a week and he seems to be showing all the first signs of mbd. and im extremly pissed at lllreptile for selling him to me in this condition. anyway, im taking him to the vet on thursday to verify and im going to get him all fixed up. the poor little guy is only about and 1 3/4". anyone know what they do to treat mbd?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
It does take a little while for babies shells to harden up. Good luck with your little one. Maybe tell us how you have it setup and the temps inside the enclosure. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hatchlings are a little soft at first. There's usually a little "give" to them if you squeeze gently. Your vet will prescribe a treatment for you. Take his advice.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Am a little relieved after reading this thread. I had thought from the title you had already lost him. As long as he is alive, there is hope.

I am sure you have already double checked that the housing is set up according to the advice from Chris and others right? Just something to always recheck any time an animal changes behavior or is not doing well. ;)

I know it will be hard to wait until the vet visit, but you'll make it. Make sure while your waiting to get some outside time in the sun (with shade available) for the two of you. The sun has magical powers on all of us. Great for the little tort's shell and your emotional stress.

Keep us posted and know we are all mentally crossing our fingers and saying positive thoughts for you. *hug*

Have you also already contacted the seller to let them know your having troubles? Explain the situation to them. How the animal is acting, how your set up, what your plan of action is (the vet). They may have ideas, plus if heaven forbid the worse does happen, they need to makes some type of restitution.

Once more best of luck to the two of you and please keep us updated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tomorrow when you're at the vet ask about Calcionate. My sister is using it now on a couple hatchlings that have beaks that turn in towards their tongue, and on a soft hatchling.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Cali, good luck to you and your little one yes please keep us posted.

cali

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks guys. i will definatly keep you posted and im going to try to post some pics of the enclosure and of odie later tonight. i dont know what to do because he always wants to burrow and he really needs to bask under the MVB. but he never does :/

Status
Not open for further replies.