Unknown Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So, Dante is sick :( Over the last couple of months his behavior has slowly changed - Not eating quite as much, slightly less active. Very slow changes, hard to notice at first.

A month ago we took him to the vet and he was 590g and in desperate need of de-worming (pooped out 4 live worms!). I took him last Monday as a follow-up, thinking he was doing better, but he had lost 50 grams!! I was told to monitor and if he lost more weight to bring him back. Well, by Saturday it was evident that his reduced appetite wouldn't be enough to keep him from losing weight. Took a blood sample, and it looks like he has some sort of infection, though we don't know where!

He'll be getting a broad spectrum antibiotic (Baytril) orally for three weeks. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with an unknown infection like this? Is this a fairly common, to not know what the exact problem is? I wish I knew what it was so I could prevent something like this again.

Just looking for some theories/advice, as I sit here and obsess over my poor sick tort :( Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is this a fairly common, to not know what the exact problem is?

I would imagine that alot of ailments in regards to a reptile would be unknown...and the broad use of antibiotics can sometimes help, however---if you just went through a cycle of poison (de wormer) to clear the worms then I bet your torts immune system is being stressed....some folks here suggest probiotics for a tort that has had its good bacteria likely altered after the use of wormers and or antibiotics....you may want to research that a bit and see if this sounds beneficial to your tort...I see that your tort is not a baby....have you emptied all of the substrate from his enclosure and or cleared the area...I mean to rid any residue from the parasites you are trying to get rid of??

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
We emptied his substrate not long BEFORE the worm treatment, but we should probably empty it again. Could you point me in the right direction of where to get probiotics?

He is CB, I got him from a breeder on this forum :) I've had him for about 7 months, he's about 9 years old.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I recently had a 45 g hatchling go downhill rapidly. A number of proposed factors, but the vet and I really didn't know what the underlying causes were. Needless to say, after a couple weeks of Baytril injections the little squirt has made a full recovery. I don't know if it's common to get an unknown infection, but your tortoises parasite load was likely a contributing factor to the infection developing. They really don't give you any warning signs - well, mine didn't!

Hang in there, your tort is tougher than you think! I'd change the enclosure bedding out and disinfect the enclosure with a bleach solution (follow the instructions on the bleach bottle, don't over due it!). You may need to do this a couple times, especially if you're de-worming again.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Thanks Chris, that's very heartening to hear!! :) I changed the substrate yesterday, but I'll get more and have it on hand for if I de-worm again!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
One week update on Dante: He still has two weeks to go, but 4 days into treatment he transitioned himself from mazuri (not something he usually eats) back to greens. Today has been a HIGH activity day! Very heartwarming to see, as he hasn't terrorized his potted spider plant in so long it's actually thriving!

While he seems to nibble on greens a little more everyday, he is still losing weight, which is troubling. He's still not eating enough to keep some weight on. He's being such a...a....tortoise! So picky! He's not usually THIS picky though. He nibbles a bit of this, doesn't want it; Nibbles that, doesn't want it. He has at least 6 different things to eat every day and he favors something different everyday to nibble on. He needs to chow down, not nibble! Patience, patience...

I'm hoping that as the week progresses he'll forget some of this picky behavior in favor of actually eating substantial quantities of something...anything. He had a bit of TNT with probiotic today, so hopefully that will work some magic too!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'd imagine the antibiotics are making Dante feel pretty cruddy and curbing his appetite. Just keep presenting him all those options and so long as he's eating something, it's good!

Offering the probiotic with the antibiotic may not work out so well, I'd probably hold off until his antibiotic treatments are over as the drugs are likely killing the probiotics you're providing.

We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Hi Chris,

Very good point! I was just so excited to get the probiotics in the mail today! I agree with you, I'll hold off for 2 more weeks...poor guy has enough going on in his body.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Pokeymeg said:
Hi Chris,

Very good point! I was just so excited to get the probiotics in the mail today! I agree with you, I'll hold off for 2 more weeks...poor guy has enough going on in his body.

;)

I don't think it would hurt Dante, just seems like you might be losing your money...those probiotics aren't cheap! :p:D Once he's off the antibiotics, I'd be interested to hear what your take is on the probiotics. It may take a couple weeks, but let us know what you think of them. Zoo Med claims to have them in their grassland/forest tortoise diets, but I'm considering picking some up at Carolina Pet Supply.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I will certainly let you know!

I ordered 4oz ($10, free shipping) and went to put it in a 4oz container, but I have waaaay more than 4oz here. Probably more like 10 oz. So, I got a good deal for my money I think :)

Oh wait, it's 4oz by weight! Whoops! I'm so used to fluid oz from bottling honey, lol!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Another quick update! (I was going to wait until Dante was done with his meds next week but I'm so excited and happy!!)

So today, for the first time in weeks, Dante was not picky. He did not discriminate against any leaf, as he plowed through his food today. I came home to a mostly empty food dish and poop everywhere. It was the most beautiful sight, poop and all :) :) :)

The mysterious infection he's had left him very dehydrated (despite daily baths and mistings, and him drinking TONS on his own) so now he's shedding like crazy. He looks naked, but hopefully his skin will thicken up soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.