Question about Shipping Delta Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I was wondering what you guys use to ship a large tortoise through Delta Dash? I have received different answers from the airlines and their site isn't specific for torts. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Delta Dash would be a flight overnight, so probably a dog crate of the appropriate size would work.

I ship overnight through UPS, and box the animals up first inside a tube sock or pillow case with a knot tied in the end, then packing peanuts, then in a cardboard box with holes punched in it...clearly labeled, "Live Harmless Reptile - this side up"

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
from www.ups.com

Accepted / Prohibited Live Animals
Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)
Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
Worms (All)

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

Packaging
Design and Construction of the Primary Container: All live animals offered for transportation must be in a new box. Corrugated boxes must be constructed of a minimum of 275 # bursting strength corrugated or 44 edge crush test. It is recommended that any package containing animals requiring moisture during transportation be constructed of water-resistant material such as wax coated, wax impregnated, or plastic corrugated. Minimal ventilation holes should be provided as necessary.

Internal Packaging and Other Considerations: Internal packaging materials must be used based on the characteristics of the animal, taking into consideration the necessary humane care for the animal while in transportation. Lizards and geckos should be individually contained in bags constructed of breathable material, such as burlap. Insects should be contained in individual primary containers such as plastic jars with ventilation. Fish must be double bagged in strong plastic bags with a minimum thickness of 4 mils. Each primary bag should be approximately one third full of water with the remainder filled with oxygen.

Package Testing: Any packaging used or developed to transport animals should be submitted to an International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) certified package testing laboratory for pre-shipment testing in accordance with ISTA Procedure 3A before being offered for transportation.

Additional Considerations: Additional components such as food, moisture, and temperature controls should be added as necessary to provide a safe environment during transportation. Additional dunnage should be added to prevent movement of the primary containers or receptacles within the outer box.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I'm trying to receive a large tortoise and send through Delta Dash, but cannot get a straight answer on how the crate/box should be. I first heard it was cardboard, then no dog/cat kennel crates, then to use only wooden crates. So I am not sure what it should be shipped in. UPS is easy but extremely expensive for 75#

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A few years ago my tortoise partner in Philadelphia sent me, via Delta Dash, a 65lb tortoise. She was crated up in the plywood box that he made himself. It had breathing holes drilled in the sides up high. Personally, I feel the box was too big, but it made the trip just fine. It was made out of four sheets of 3/4" plywood, a whole sheet for the bottom, and another whole sheet for the top, with the sides being 2' tall and made out of the last sheets. All screwed together with 2x4's in the corners. It was VERY heavy and I'll bet it cost him a fortune to ship. I thought it made a great indoor habitat, and I still have it stored (all taken apart). I can't find it in me to scrap it...but way too big for a one time use. Actually, I think if you were going to make a plywood shipping crate, it should be slightly larger than the tortoise so he can't move around too much. At 75lbs, it would have to be very sturdy because a tortoise that large has extreme power and destruction capabilities!!! Good luck with that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
spikethebest said:
from www.ups.com

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils

HEY!!! My roaches are not "obnoxious" in any way. In fact, my other animals find them quite desirable.

We ship with UPS all the time....he he he

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your best bet like Yvonne said is going to be a wooden box. I'm not sure how much UPS would charge for something like that, but Delta Dash will be more I can tell you that. A cardboard fish box (the square ones with the styrofoam insert) usually run $100 to $125 for Delta Dash. I don't even want to know what a wooden box with a 75lb Sulcata in it is going to run you. :rolleyes:

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not a large "female" sulcata from AZ, is it?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hi Tom! no it is not the one you are thinking of. I am helping to do the research on shipping for a friend back east.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delta has gone up a little bit. I shipped out a wooden box full of Rattlesnakes that weighed 40 lb and was 36" x 20" x 8" a couple of nights ago for right at $130. Delta Dash is great, but you do have to be a "known shipper". Which involves a Delta employee visiting your facility to verify that you are doing what you say you are doing. This took 2 months for me after 9-11 even though I had been shipping with Delta since 1992 almost weekly. I hope that this helps. Feel free to PM me for any more info, I ship stuff all the time. Douglas

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That is why I always ship at around midnight, so the animals make the first flight around 6 am and are to their destination usually by noon or just a bit later.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
elegans said:
Delta has gone up a little bit. I shipped out a wooden box full of Rattlesnakes that weighed 40 lb and was 36" x 20" x 8" a couple of nights ago for right at $130. Delta Dash is great, but you do have to be a "known shipper". Which involves a Delta employee visiting your facility to verify that you are doing what you say you are doing. This took 2 months for me after 9-11 even though I had been shipping with Delta since 1992 almost weekly. I hope that this helps. Feel free to PM me for any more info, I ship stuff all the time. Douglas

You shipped what Douglas? Rattlesnakes? Why would anyone buy Rattlesnakes? I can't wait to hear the answer to this question.:D

If the answer is gross it's probably best not to tell me. :p

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just a little side project. I have been keeping venomous reptiles on and off since I was 16. I have had cobras and all kinds of other weird creatures over the years. Douglas

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
emysemys said:
Delta Dash would be a flight overnight, so probably a dog crate of the appropriate size would work.

I guess it may depend where you're coming from. Every delta shipment I have had has been same day, which is why I prefer them. If the tortoise can be packaged, shipped and received in 4 to 5 hours, the stress is going to be minimal.

I'd always pay the extra money if given the option for Delta.

Status
Not open for further replies.