Need shipping advice

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yes. I used Bermuda or orchard grass hay.

Some of these people at the counter have never seen a reptile shipped and have no idea what to do. Or they may have seen a snake or lizard in a bag inside a styrofoam lined cardboard box, but they've never seen a large tortoise shipped.

Once I had received a shipping quote of $180 when I made the reservation to ship an adult leopard, and at drop off, the person behind the counter said it was done wrong, re-did it, and I was only charged $77. It all depends on the person at the counter. Once the package is received and under way you can usually relax.

The big unknown in this for me is what happens on the other end when they receive a live animal in HI. Quarantine is a big deal over there and the rules are very restrictive about any live animal coming in. And for good reason.
Exactly wrong advise to pack with any plant material, that will get the shipment rejected.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Plain bull$****. With permit and vet docs, it's about an hour to process the animal.
Wrong they require quaratine for any animal coming into Hawaii getting upset won't change a thing. Hawaii is very strict.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Exactly wrong advise to pack with any plant material, that will get the shipment rejected.
Except that is never has.

Your assertion is further evidence that these people have no idea what they are doing and that you get a different story from each person you talk to.

All of the 8 adult tortoises I've shipped or had shipped to me on an airline like Delta or United in the last couple of years were shipped with grass hay as substrate.

I would bet that you are correct in reference to shipping to HI. I can see why they would have a higher level of scrutiny for any plant material coming to the island. The only live thing I've shipped in or out of HI has been dogs. No plant material packed with them.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Packing larger tortoises, say 10 pounds to 40 pounds is not so complicated, anyway, I've made the mistakes and learned from them. You have to layer the materials used to contain the tortoise. And not offer any free space for them to move about or have a chance to get 'hurled' inside the box (s).

Any how, it's an ongoing and fun effort to help a friend build their breeding collection in Hawaii. A little pineapple and coconut extension of another Kapidolo Farms cooperative facility.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Packing larger tortoises, say 10 pounds to 40 pounds is not so complicated, anyway, I've made the mistakes and learned from them. You have to layer the materials used to contain the tortoise. And not offer any free space for them to move about or have a chance to get 'hurled' inside the box (s).

Any how, it's an ongoing and fun effort to help a friend build their breeding collection in Hawaii. A little pineapple and coconut extension of another Kapidolo Farms cooperative facility.
You are the person I will ask if ever I want to ship to HI! Thank for the info Will.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Outside cardboard box, with a solid foam box, (not six sides) lined with heavier cardboard. Tortoise has a baby diaper duct taped to catch poop, but leave legs with full range of movement. Put tortoise in pillow case such the leg movement is restricted, but still has some room to squirm. Place in another pillow case. place tortoise in box, pack solid with foam packing peanuts, the kind that don't decompose readily with water. Poke a few air exchange holes in all the walls through to the packing peanuts.

The packing peanuts in increase insulation, allow air, and cushion the tortoise from sudden stops in motion. Yet they can still wiggle a little. This works for very long durations between drop off and pick up.
IMG_20190629_085941 (1).jpg

Six panels of foam do not capture any diaper leakage. You do in-fact need for air to be able to exchange, it does not have to be much, but it does have to be there.

normav

I would like to add that I followed Will’s advice, and I successfully shipped my tortoises (17 and 23 lbs) to Hawaii this week. They were in the boxes 45 hours, and they are fine. Kudos to Kapidolo farms for being willing to advise me on a difficult issue somewhat fraught with uncertainty and liability. I used an online reptile shipper and fedex. Yes I had a Hawaii state permit and a Vet certificate. No, it wasn’t hard to do. Yes, they must go through ag inspection at Honolulu. No, it wasn’t terrible. No, I don’t think Delta would have done a better job. Delta wouldn’t even tell me for sure what to use as a carrier. If you need to ship-follow Will’s instructions, use an online reptile shipper (I used Reptiles2You but there are others), and enjoy other people’s wisdom and experience. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hawaii is its own special case, glad to help. I know @Tom has shipped animals all over the world. But Hawaii is its own special case.
@dmmj actual "quarantine time" if you want to call it that, was as long as it takes to open the box, inspect the documents and the animal and then close the box.

normav

Hawaii is its own special case, glad to help. I know @Tom has shipped animals all over the world. But Hawaii is its own special case.
@dmmj actual "quarantine time" if you want to call it that, was as long as it takes to open the box, inspect the documents and the animal and then close the box.
Yes. Quarantine (in Hawaii) is for mammals (rabies). Inspection (in Hawaii) is for reptiles (parasites and contagion). Most people will never need this information, but if anyone does, Will’s instructions are solid gold.