Shipping container?

ben awes

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I need to ship out two 25 - 30 pound tortoises across the country this week. I have always used FedEX overnight for my babies, but am likely going to use Delta to ship, just like you would to ship your dog. This way I can drop at airport and the tort can be picked up on the other end, just few hours apart. My plan is to build a small wood crate for each.

Anyone have feedback on what they have done, what airlines they have used? Is a wood crate the best idea, or does a dog carrier work just as well? I want it secure and dark for the tort for safety and to reduce stress on the tort, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks much,
Ben

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ben:

You'd better contact Delta to get their specifications for shipping larger animals. I think you need to have some sort of actual dog crate. But call them to be sure.

(The baby I got from you is doing very well and growing like a weed. Did you realize she has an extra marginal scute?)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ben ....check out a Company called ULINE

Uline.com
1-800-295-5510

They have everything under the sun ......for shipping needs.

JD~:shy:

ben awes

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi Ben:

You'd better contact Delta to get their specifications for shipping larger animals. I think you need to have some sort of actual dog crate. But call them to be sure.

(The baby I got from you is doing very well and growing like a weed. Did you realize she has an extra marginal scute?)

Hi Yvonne, thanks for the message - yes, I've called Delta, and they are very helpful - I just wanted folks opinions on TF about containers. Very glad to hear the baby is doing well! I love to hear that. Yes, I knew she had an extra marginal scute - it was very apparent on the first photo I showed of her here on the forum last August.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-78354.html

ps. I just discovered two babies hatching this morning! always very exciting :)