Query regarding tomatoes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

locado999

5 Year Member
Is it acceptable to feed tomatoes to Indian star tortoises ???
I fed them last week for once. Both of mine had it well.... but I'm having doubt that it is considered as fruit for reference.. may contain sugars(as they can't digest sugars).
Please some experts here help me.... Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're correct in assuming that a tomatoe is a fruit. In my opinion, and occasional "TREAT" of a fruit isn't too bad. Just not part of their regular diet.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Yvonne's correct.

Keep in mind that while the red fruit is fine as an occasional treat, the leaves contain mild toxins. Avoid feeding leaves of the tomoato plant.

And also, welcome to the forum. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mctlong said:
Yvonne's correct.

Keep in mind that while the red fruit is fine as an occasional treat, the leaves contain mild toxins. Avoid feeding leaves of the tomoato plant.

Hey. I was gonna say the same thing. :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Tom said:
mctlong said:
Yvonne's correct.

Hey. I was gonna say the same thing. :)

Great minds think alike. :)

locado999

5 Year Member
THanks for solution bros. I'm feedin tomatoes and sweet cucumber once in a week.
I'm soaking them daily for 15 mins. Is this practice ok or even this should be done once in a week?

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
locado999 said:
THanks for solution bros. I'm feedin tomatoes and sweet cucumber once in a week.
I'm soaking them daily for 15 mins. Is this practice ok or even this should be done once in a week?

If they are young, it's good to keep them soaked. Tom has done an experiment, and keeping them soaked and the shells moist is a good way to prevent Pyramiding in any tortoise. Also it's a great way to keep them hydrated if they are young as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.