Pyramiding and overgrown Beak..?

Nikkeh.x

5 Year Member
Hello!

I have a horsefield tortoise for about 3-4 years now, and his shell has always been a little raised ever since i got him (aged 1), it isnt soft at all and doesnt really change much, but every other horsefield tortoise i see on here or anywhere seem to have a smoother shell...is my one okay??
Here is a photo of him when i first got him....and him now !

IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

I know his beak is over grown a bit too :/ I was just wondering is it safe for me to attempt to file it down?
Or should I take him to a vet and ask them to do it?
ive seen many videos online and pictures of how to do it but I dont want to file it down too much....

Also I weighed and measured him today and he is 150cm and weighs just over 600g
I think he is a little underweight....any advice on how to get him to gain more weight?
I feed him daily and most of the time he eats quite a bit but doesnt seem to put on weight..?

Any advice??

Thank you!

M

Maggie Cummings

I use toenails clippers for beak trimming, and I just do a little at a time. Better to do too little than too much. Maybe you need to take a stoll sample to your Vet and see if he has parasites. He's a little bumpy but not bad. He is a beautiful color, maybe you are keeping him a little too dry. Does he ever get outside?

Nikkeh.x

5 Year Member
Yeah he does get out sometimes when the weather is nice perhaps once a week or so
But I don't let him out when it's raining (which is quite a lot in Milton Keynes lol)
I'm planning on moving house in the next year and he will be living in an outdoor enclosure but for now he's in a pretty big 2 story tortoise table!

Nikkeh.x

5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply by the way and advice on his beak I will try a little bit at time if he lets me!
I'm in the uk by the way!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your tortoise has accelerated growth. Probably from being fed too much and not the correct foods. He also would benefit from real sunshine. Do you have a UVB light? What do you feed him?

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His beak is fine. It does not need trimming. Feed him the right foods and it will never be an issue. Here are some suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Here is a care sheet to help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And what NOT to do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I think his beak looks fine, and from what I can see, it looks like any pryamiding, occurred before u had him in his 1st yr (this was the same with my Russian). Because all the new growth lines look smooth and healthy to me, good job.

I'm from wales, so I know just how bad the rain can be!!

Nikkeh.x

5 Year Member
Yes he has a UVB light! I have one upstairs and downstairs for him and his heat lamp they are on about 12 hours a day
I give him dandelions when I have them in my garden and he varies from cress romain lettuce rocket red and green leaf lettuce and cabbage on occasions :/
Every week I sprinkle some calcium on his food and he has a calcium block in there which is hope he trim his beak on but doesn't seem to care for it lol

Nikkeh.x

5 Year Member
Thanks tinkerbell!

I did take him to the vets maybe a year ago and they told me that his shell is fine as long as it's always hard and doesn't go soft!
So I'm hoping he's okay since he's always been like that lol!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks like you got all the info you need. So I'm just here to welcomes you.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
If you worry about his beak, try feeding him on a piece of slate, as this will help naturally trim the beak, and good for claws also.

Nikkeh.x

5 Year Member
Yeah I have a big rock in his home that he eats off
I think I need something different lol because he just pulls the food off it todwards him!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Keep in mind that studies done recently show that the UV bulbs lose much of their UV output in just a few months.

Nikkeh.x

5 Year Member
Yeah I know :) I've recently replaced them this week actually!