Unsure if his beak is overgrown and needs a trim

GennadiyIvanovich

Location (City and/or State)
England
20200203_101645.jpg
Is his beak too long and should I trim it? He is very careful when he eats and never touches his rock so he won't wear it down himself. I've seen videos on youtube showing how to do it with nail clippers and a nail file, is this a safe way to trim it if he needs trimming or should I take him to the vets instead?
We don't have a professional reptile vet anywhere in my area and the vet I took him to to do an inital check incorrectly sexed him so I'd rather get advice from tortoise keepers on how to do this at home than risk taking him there!
Thank you in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like the beak was quite overgrown at one point in this tortoise's life, and it started to grow outward into what we call duck beak, but someone had it trimmed. It's not too long now, but make sure it stays that way. Because it used to have the "duck" orientation, it will start growing outward again if allowed to get too long.

GennadiyIvanovich

England
It looks like the beak was quite overgrown at one point in this tortoise's life, and it started to grow outward into what we call duck beak, but someone had it trimmed. It's not too long now, but make sure it stays that way. Because it used to have the "duck" orientation, it will start growing outward again if allowed to get too long.
Aw thank you so much! I don't know see I've only had him for just over a year. I don't know how old he is either but I'm guessing that he's older than 15. That's really useful I'll keep that in mind and try to keep him healthy!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aw thank you so much! I don't know see I've only had him for just over a year. I don't know how old he is either but I'm guessing that he's older than 15. That's really useful I'll keep that in mind and try to keep him healthy!
Maybe try putting his food in a single layer on the eating rock and not piled up. This might help to get him to having too rub his beak on the rock to get the food, which of course will help keep it filed down.

GennadiyIvanovich

England
Maybe try putting his food in a single layer on the eating rock and not piled up. This might help to get him to having too rub his beak on the rock to get the food, which of course will help keep it filed down.
That's a good idea! I'll try it and see if it helps. If he's still super careful while eating I guess I'll resort to doing it manually if it starts growing longer.
Thank you so much!