Overgrown beak?

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
My Russian Tortoise was bought from a pet store that said lettuce and kale would be a good diet. I know now that this is not true, but I'm still afraid of his beak overgrowing. I will post pictures if necessary. His beak isn't obviously overgrown, but it's not as worn down as the photos of the 100% healthy tortoises-- it doesn't extend down to much but goes a bit past where his lower jaw begins. I will take him to the vet soon to get wormed, so should I ask for them to trim his beak? Or, since it looks fine, should I just supply cuttlebone or a ZooMed banquet block or something? I'm just sort of reluctant on this because my tortoise is a picky eater :).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Feed him on a flat rock or piece for ruff tile. This will help keep his beak filed.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Okay, I will try that. Would a saucer (for plants) work? I've seen people use terra cotta planters, but I'm afraid he's gonna break it (he can be very boisterous sometimes). Would plastic work?

Fredkas

5 Year Member
No. Plastic won't work. Should be something sort like tile, stone, rock, etc.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Food needs to be served on a piece of flat rock or slate... the back of a ceramic tile also makes a good rough surface for food.

Terracotta plants saucers are good for water bowls rather than food.

Have a piece of cuttlebone in the enclosure too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the wild, tortoises keep their beak in shape by having to bite off their food. The aren't served up food on a platter. They have to bit off that stem from the plant. They have to bite off that blade of grass. They have to take bites out of leaves that are growing on stems. Well, you get the picture. I've even seen some tortoises polishing their beaks on a big rock.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I don't know what Toro want, but he always try to bite the stone in his outdoor enclosure, he is polishing his beaks maybe :p

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
In addition to feeding on a tile , or slate I have always made cuttlebone available to Speedy !

Southeast USA
Well if it still grows, just file it! Soak him in warm water, so he relaxes. Slightly tilt him forward if he doesn't come out of his shell (it won't hurt him). Then, file away! Slowly do gentle strokes, and do this every other day if it stops growing so fast. I forgot the material to file it with, but I assume you would use a nail filer that is BRAND NEW so any debris won't get into the tortoise's eye, mouth or nose.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
He has a little bridge that has an area that can be used for food. It's a replica of stone. Would this work? The only reason I haven't done it is that It's kind of hard for him to position himself.
Is plastic harmful or something to tortoises?

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Thank you! My tortoise sometimes bites his bridge but once he finds out something doesn't taste good, he won't touch it again. The saucer I am thinking of is on the stronger side.