overgrown beak

tinkthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
hi, my torts beak has become quite overgrown in lockdown but the vet he's registered at are still shut for problems that aren't emergencies and most places where i live don't take tortoises. he's still eating just fine and it doesn't seem to be affecting him - will it be okay until i can get him to the vets? he's not in any kind of pain is he?

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Try getting some flat slate and put his food on there. As he is grabbing the food the slate will trim his beak down. A handy tip a few of the awesome people on here gave me ?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I took in a rescue about a year ago with an overgrown beak, and have been feeding him on a stone time... the beak is almost entirely better.

Any time you can keep the tortoise away from the vet is a win.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
In addition to the flat slate feeding area, provide food in a terra cotta dish. don’t cut everything up, make your tort use it’s beak. And, provide a few cuttlebones. A single Large piece Is good, but add some smaller pieces as well.

ps - what kind of tortoise. ?

tinkthetortoise

Uk
I took in a rescue about a year ago with an overgrown beak, and have been feeding him on a stone time... the beak is almost entirely better.

Any time you can keep the tortoise away from the vet is a win.

Jamie
definitely going to try this, thank you!

tinkthetortoise

Uk
In addition to the flat slate feeding area, provide food in a terra cotta dish. don’t cut everything up, make your tort use it’s beak. And, provide a few cuttlebones. A single Large piece Is good, but add some smaller pieces as well.

ps - what kind of tortoise. ?
i have an 11 year old russian! 100% going to get some cuttlebone - thank you!

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I give mine cuttlebone. I don’t give the calcium powder. I don’t want to get fed it to her. Good thing about the cuttlebone is they will eat as much of it as they need. I did get alarmed at first as pumpkin didn’t stop and just carried on lol. But I was assured by loads of people on here that a tortoise knows when they have had enough. And will stop when they hit there limit. But not to be alarmed if she eats the whole one.