Proud to announce !

Status
Not open for further replies.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am so excited about this because we just moved into a new house that house an acre and a half land and its all forest . He is going to have so much room its not even funny ! I cant wait. Oh and thankyou all for your info i guess i will let the lights fofrom the leopards bleed over his enlcosure.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
do guys thinks its a good idea to get an auto mister to keep the humidity up or will that cause an uri ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I never used one. So can't say.

Yvonne

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
I was wondering about one of those small foggers for reptiles, and almost bought one today. I never thought about RI....I just wanted to keep the humidity up as I've been having trouble with that.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alright so im almost complete with my emys setup. I am using the cypress mulch as bedding and im going to lay some sphagum moss around the enlcosure and maybe a lil bundle for him to hide in. Some plants and a 100 watt red bulb to keep the enlcosure warm (should keep it at around 85 F closer to it and will have micro climates between 68-78. Now humidity i really need to know what might work better. I know some of you havent used any of these but read what they are about and give me you opinoin.

I was thinking between the Haba Mister or a Haba Fogger. Now i truly think the mister might be best since they supposedly eat right away after rain fall in the wild. So this may be best for him naturally but i dont want him hungry all the time though. I am afraid however since a fogger is kinda a thick well fog it may irrate his lungs. SO what do you guys think.? Mind you i have a full time job so i cant keep his habitat humid as much as i should thats why i think one these will help me do so.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never had a problem keeping their habitat moist enough and I don't use a mister (except in the summer to cool it down) or a fogger. I just water it good then go about my business. If its dried out by the next morning, I water it again.

Yvonne

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So the big day is almost here ! Wednesday i should have my new tort! I think its a male and if so his name will Bubbaloo ! Ha i think its funny at least. SO i have will have him in a 4x4 enclosure and will have cypress mulch , and new zealand sphagum moss scattered through out. He also will have a soaking bowl in there for him and i bought the Zoo Med auto mister (the one that is just s moterized trigger) my fingers cramp up. Some fake plants and a 100 watt infrared bulb to keep it at a not cold temp. I will post pics wednesday !

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
bubbaloo.jpgenclosure.jpgAlright here is Bubbaloo and 4x4 enclosure. He is 9 inches scl and is very personable. I got him from breeders Robert and Trish. My experince with them was top notch and my mountain tort is heavy, healthy, and so very freindly. I am very pleased i cant wait to spend the rest of my life with this guy or gal. ive been trying to get hom to eat a combo of butternut squash , zucchini and rapini greens. He or she hasnt eaten since i got him wednesday. He kinda nibbles at it but then moves on so im hoping he will turn around soon . Any suggestions ? Is this part of the adjustment phase ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would suggest a humid hide and a wading/soaking bowl 1.5x the carapace length. They live in a wet climix forest and will commonly sit a pool of water. In dimmer enviornments they are more active. Try some moist fruits also.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Congrats! It's common for torts to be shy, not eating, etc when you first get them. If the husbandry is correct, I agree that they will adjust as they settle in to their new home.

Are you going to be using a moist substrate? What is in their currently?

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hes on cypress mulch w new zealand sphagum moss scattered throughout. I spray his bedding 3 times a day its between 60 -80 percent. Ya im gona get a bowl or something tommorow. Hes very friendly and attentive. Temps range from 62 at night and 85 under the red light and 70s throughout

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Ok great. It looked dry to me so I wanted to ask! Looks like a great home for Bubbaloo. Do you have a hide area in the corner? There needs to be an area for the tort to completely hide away and feel secure. Ideally, you want one in a warm area and and one in a cooler area. A pile of substrate to burrow into is an option, or a box or container (solid not clear sides), etc. That may also help break up the fact that the tort can see straight across the enclosure, which makes it seem smaller for them. Unless of course you have something in there I can't see (small photos-sorry).

I've also heard the rainforest and forest species are a little more timid in general than others.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yea i spray down th enclosures pretty good and monitor it daily. I will get more fake plants to make it more interesting for him. There is a pile of sphagum moss where the lid is in the corner but i need something more enclosed. Thanks for your help. I think im gonna add on to his enclosure though since hes a big boy prolly an extra 2x4 should be good. That would bring him to a 6x4 .

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
burmese mt tortoises are awesome tortoises to have, I use to have one that was 13 inches. They are very fun to keep, one of my favorite, i plan to get a few in the future when i have room.

this was my boy

BigBoy1-22-07019.jpg

BigBoy1-22-07014.jpg

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
When we first needed a mister system, we looked at the usual pet store items too but were disappointed due to being cheaply made or not holding enough water. So we set up our own system (Tim is very do-it-yourself type). We have photos for what to buy/how to set up an auto mister on our blog if anyone is interested (blog address is below with our signature). We can help you too if the photos aren't enough.

Our method allows you to have more water without refilling the resevoir constantly and is very robust (no cheap stuff here!). It can also be used on more than one cage at the same time. It's all automatic. If you are into DIY projects, then you'll love this one. But if that scares you, then you should probably stick to the pet store products. We bought everything at Home Depot (or Lowes, can't remember which at the moment).

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hes eating now like a monster and is very aclimated now it seems like. So very excited ! How do you tell between male and female ? 4 yrs old and 9 inches scl.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So how often do mist/soak them ? Ive been doin 3 soaks a week and mist him down once a day (he likes to eat right after a nice misting !) Let me know if im over doing it. I spray the sphagum and cypress once before i go to work and (8 hours later) i spray when i get home. I also leave a short water bowl right under the heat for him to do his own soaking while im gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.