Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfernandez

5 Year Member
Tortoise Bedding

Hi my name is Kevin, I currently own two sulcatas about 2 yrs old. I will be adding a leopard tomorrow to my family. I recently changed caging to a bigger tank. I had bought alfalfa pellets as the bedding. Have about two inches in the tank. But after reading ive become a little concerned about my choosen bedding. If anyone can recommend a certain bedding in which I can use for my tortoises, I would greatly appreciate it, Thanks :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
RE: Tortoise Bedding

Welcome to the forum Kevin :) I would say Cypress mulch or Eco Earth cann you post some pic's of your sulcatas? are you getting a hatchling leo or an older one? :)

wildponey21

5 Year Member

Hi i use aspen wood shaveings for my two redfoots. I tried to use petmoss but it was to dusty. I have hard alot of people use eco earth or coco cor. I know some peopel that use hay as beding for the sulcates when they over 50 or more. If you keep them outside and they have a house or stall or some people build them a barn i would use hay.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Keven:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

My personal choice is orchid bark...but: You have to find out what kind of habitat the tortoise needs to grow healthy and strong, then try to duplicate that in his habitat. What works for me in my climate and tortoise-keeping ways, may not work for you. We have recently learned that keeping baby leopards and sulcatas dry leads to pyramided shells. So we're learning to keep them on the moist side...that means either a moist substrate or a humid hiding place.

If you want to try the moist substrate, then your best bet is orchid bark, cypress mulch or coco coir. You can moisten these and they don't turn sour, moldy or smelly.

If you don't want to go that route, then you can use any kind of dry substrate...hay, aspen, etc. (but not pellets as they're hard of baby legs) but keep him in a moist hide. You can do that by stuffing his hiding places with moistened sphagnum moss.

kmfernandez

5 Year Member

I appreciate your suggestions, but i am wondering if the tortoises were to consume the bedding because they are very curios animals, would they be harmed in any way. I'm going to be getting, or Should I say got a leopard tortoise, i'm not sure on the exact age, but the size resembles that of a baseball. If you can get back to me, i would greatly appreciate it.
P.S: Is it ok to house sulcatas and leopards tortoises together.

Hi I have ab urgent question that needs answering asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My tortoises (sulcatas) seem to be bitting the back of my new leopard. There probably about a 1 yr and a half different in age. But the constantly keep bitting the shell. I seperated them because i was afraid that they might bite his leg or face, and then he'll be in serious trouble. Please advice me what to do. I need to know ASAP!!!!!!

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
don't mix the different species together. it's not a good idea.

as far as the substrate, sometimes they will eat some of it. it can cause problems depending on the substrate. what do you have the tortoise on?

kmfernandez

5 Year Member
I just dont understand why i cant mix the, there from the same enviroment?
As for the substrate, i currently have them on alfalfa pellets sold strictly for tortoises. What would you recommend for it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Kevin:

You should always set a new tortoise up in a quarantine habitat for at least 3 months before putting it in with existing tortoise. And in MY OPINION, sulcatas and leopards should not be housed together. Sulcatas are way more agressive than a passive, shy little leopard. And you've seen first hand what happens. Eventually the shy leopard will try to stay out of the sulcata's way and stay hiding all the time. He won't eat and he'll eventually get sick and die.

The bedding choices that I gave you aren't harmful if ingested.

May we know where you are?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you have learned why not to house them together.. too bad we werent able to tell you that before you got the leopard. I hope you have a seperate enclosure to use.
Even after the qaurantine, you may not be able to ever house them peacefully or safely together.
Be sure to read up on moisture, humidity and diet needs. they are at least the same..
welcome and have fun!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! You have been given some great information on the bedding. I myself do use the coir (bed-a-beast bricks) and sand combo. I agree with the advice to do the quarantine and that even then, it is usually not wise to mix species. In this case, your mixing two species with different aggression levels.

In the wild, they may share the same area, BUT think of the amount of space they have. A tortoise can pretty much escape from bigger or more aggressive animals. In captivity, there usually is no room to escape. If they must be housed together, give them as much room as possible, lots of hides and visual blockers (could be plants, rocks, logs, mounds of substrate, hides, ect..,). The picking may stop once they "break in" the new kid on the block, but not always. Tortoise can and do hurt, even to the point of killing another one. :( Happens more with adults, but always keep that in the back of your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.