Proud to announce !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
with my guy i use to have a sprinkler and he would always come out and eat after, i dont think you can over do it, they love rain ""

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I had forgotten that until I read your post, Millerlite. The Manouria are "precipitation inspired" feeders. That is to say, they come out to eat when it rains. So if you are having a hard time getting your little one to eat, make it rain!

Yvonne

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yea thats what ive been reading and doing. He loves it when i mist him and than give him some food and hes off eating like a monster.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
He is a reptile and Calcium and D3 is good for them, It woundlt hurt him. I usually just feed him things with natural calcium, mine also use to graze on dandelions which was good. I always use vitamins and calcium, but i dont over do it, because i dont think they need as much as people make it out to seem, but it wont hurt, d3 actually can be given to much though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
twtraudio said:
Do they need the calcium with d3 too ?

If you are feeding some sort of animal protein occasionally, then its not as important as it is in a desert-type tortoise.

Yvonne

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OK thanks for your input and that subject onto another . As far as protein i saw someone reccomended pro plan cat or dog food was it ? ALso i saw snails and what about earthworms or any other invertabre ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
twtraudio said:
OK thanks for your input and that subject onto another . As far as protein i saw someone reccomended pro plan cat or dog food was it ? ALso i saw snails and what about earthworms or any other invertabre ?

Anything like that that you can get them to eat. When I first moved here to this house about a dozen years ago, I had about 8 or 10 large potted plants temporarily lined up along the fence in the Burmese pen. Every day I found those pots tipped over. At first I thought the tortoises were trying to eat the foliage, however there were never any bites or damage to the plants. I finally figured out they were looking for the slugs under the pots.

I have fed moistened Pro Plan and they all ate it. Now-a-days I feed them hard boiled eggs (including the shell), cooked chicken, night crawlers and the occasional dollop of canned cat food.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
lol, thats a great story i can picture them tipping them over. I bet if box turtles were bigger they would do the same thing, I guess Emy's are almost like a big box turtle, ha

Status
Not open for further replies.