Progress report

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta
Hi I'm getting my first tortoise in august , I'm going to try find a western hermann's tortoise in red deer Alberta reptile expo. I've done lots of research and this is what I have created so far .

image-812525973.png

image-3590897002.png

I took an old Ikea tv stand reformed it, found some free laminate at a garage sale, used a clear marine glue adhesive from home depot . black earth top soil , coconut coir mixed with soil( about 70/40) black leave clovers, dragons blood clover, orange ice sedum, mossy stonecrop. And some basking rocks from kamloops lake!

Next on the list lighting hopefully I can create something both stylish and effective.

For people keeping live plants in there pens Do you let your tortoise eat whenever or keep it high enough so he can't reach and cut a little off each day?

Hope you like it in open to suggestions

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
I'm new so i don't know much about the plants, But it looks good.

Are you getting a baby, or a full grown tort?

If full grown this still may be a bit small, unless you can get him outside during the day.

also, How tall are the sides from the substrate? If this is for a 4" tort you may have an escape if the sides are too short.

The final thing i would add that is a must, is a hide. Whether it be a half log or a shoe box the tort needs a place to get away and feel safe.

keep up the good work, :cool:

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
cjcantelon said:
Hi I'm getting my first tortoise in august , I'm going to try find a western hermann's tortoise in red deer Alberta reptile expo. I've done lots of research and this is what I have created so far .

View attachment 20672

View attachment 20671

I took an old Ikea tv stand reformed it, found some free laminate at a garage sale, used a clear marine glue adhesive from home depot . black earth top soil , coconut coir mixed with soil( about 70/40) black leave clovers, dragons blood clover, orange ice sedum, mossy stonecrop. And some basking rocks from kamloops lake!

Next on the list lighting hopefully I can create something both stylish and effective.

For people keeping live plants in there pens Do you let your tortoise eat whenever or keep it high enough so he can't reach and cut a little off each day?

Hi there,

I am also a western hermanns owner, i live in BC.

What would you like us to call you? As for the enclosure you have done a good job so far, i have a 50/50 mix of topsoil and sand, with coconut coir in there hide well mine have 2 hides, one is a terracotta plant pot, the other is a log archway the kind you can bend into shapes, i have it sunk in the substrate and have the coir in there, they like to climb over it and she hides from him under it. i have a heating light at one end and the sunlight lamp at the other. I plant my plants right into the substrate and i have a bowl filled with other things for variety, like spring greens, christmas cactus, sedum etc. at the side of the food under the sun lamp i have the water bowl and for this i use the terracota saucer/plate that the terracotta pot would normally sit on, this way it isnt too deep for the tort and they can easily get in/out. then i have a few rocks for them to climb over sunken slightly into the substrate. my enclosure is 72x30, i have both torts in there and they are both 5inch long.

there is also an excellent plant booklet/database in the feeding and diet section, i think the link is titled plant database or which plants are safe.

Good luck in your purchase, and dont forget we like pictures :)

kae

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
I am looking to buy a baby tort. I realize my enclose maybe be a little different then the regular box shape or bin type . I believe it is 55"x20" I hope that doesn't effect his life style much. The walls above substrate are 6" . He will be taken outside and be able to roam more then just his pen.

M5Ivan

5 Year Member
East
cjcantelon said:
I am looking to buy a baby tort. I realize my enclose maybe be a little different then the regular box shape or bin type . I believe it is 55"x20" I hope that doesn't effect his life style much. The walls above substrate are 6" . He will be taken outside and be able to roam more then just his pen.
That looks really good and just needs a hide on both the warm and cool end. I'm new to torts but the size is fine for a young or sub-adult Hermanns. I'm keeping my baby western Hermanns is a tub that's 18x36 for now.
Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks very nice. You will need a hide. I would also suggest a flat rock or tile for the food to be placed on. Keeps food out of substrate and also helps keep beak filed down. You will also need a water dish. You may also need to cover a large portion of it to keep humidity at the proper level. Get everything you need and test heat and humidity ahead of time. Good luck on getting your tort:D

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
Well hello fellow Albertan, You'll find humidity to be a bit of a trouble in these parts. That's been my only real struggle for a year now. after good advise and help on here I've found local food to be readily available year round, fresh. Be advised that in local shops there has been an issue with substrate. I bake all of mine before use as there have been many cases of mites. (Local findings have been in Calgary, Red Deer, and Edmonton but not to the point of recall yet) Brick formed coco husk, soil, and moss. I highly recommend a timed humidifier or mister for the area. Dandy lion season here is short, gather those treats while you can.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Englishrose said:
cjcantelon said:

View attachment 20672

View attachment 20671

Hi there,

What would you like us to call you? As for the enclosure you have done a good job so far, i have a 50/50 mix of topsoil and sand, with coconut coir in there hide well mine have 2 hides, one is a terracotta plant pot, the other is a log archway the kind you can bend into shapes, i have it sunk in the substrate and have the coir in there, they like to climb over it and she hides from him under it. i have a heating light at one end and the sunlight lamp at the other. I plant my plants right into the substrate and i have a bowl filled with other things for variety, like spring greens, christmas cactus, sedum etc. at the side of the food under the sun lamp i have the water bowl and for this i use the terracota saucer/plate that the terracotta pot would normally sit on, this way it isnt too deep for the tort and they can easily get in/out. then i have a few rocks for them to climb over sunken slightly into the substrate. my enclosure is 72x30, i have both torts in there and they are both 5inch long.

there is also an excellent plant booklet/database in the feeding and diet section, i think the link is titled plant database or which plants are safe.

kae

Hi , I have been trying to read through lighting sections and peoples opinions . I need help. Its getting confusing between MVB and Florescent. 3 lights 2 lights.

I know I need a basking light , a UV/UVB light (10%) and a ceramic heat bulb.

Its the company I am worried about I am getting mixed answers on companies that work and companies whos bulbs cause blindness and deformed shell growth.

I just want to know if your tortoise grew up healthy and what lights did you use? ( I will be taking him out side alot too)

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Hi there,

I use the Exo Terra range and have a UVA and a UVB bulb, not the coil type, they are not recommended.

i only have 2 lights (as above) the sunlight i have above the food tray and water dish this is on the left of my enclosure and on the right i have the heat/basking spot inbetween the two i have one of the hides.

I mist the substrate when its dried out or just turn it al over once per week they like it damp, but not too much. the coconut coir they love to sleep on.

I know the lighting can be a confusing topic, its my understanding that the MVB bulbs can get too hot.

kae

cjcantelon said:
Englishrose said:
cjcantelon said:

View attachment 20672

View attachment 20671

Hi there,

kae

Hi , I have been trying to read through lighting sections and peoples opinions . I need help. Its getting confusing between MVB and Florescent. 3 lights 2 lights.

I know I need a basking light , a UV/UVB light (10%) and a ceramic heat bulb.

Its the company I am worried about I am getting mixed answers on companies that work and companies whos bulbs cause blindness and deformed shell growth.

I just want to know if your tortoise grew up healthy and what lights did you use? ( I will be taking him out side alot too)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Depending on what the night temps are in the area your tort resides, it it is possible you may not need heat at night (ceramic heat emitter). However, if you do use one, be sure to keep it on a thermostat to regulate the temps.

There are two basic daytime lighting/heat options (everyone has their preference):
1. MVB bulb, like the PowerSun 100w or Exoterra 125w (two brands), which is heat + UVB/A in one bulb. This goes on the warm end. Many of us add a regular house bulb, say, 75w, midway down to add more light and keep the enclosure bright during the day.
2. Or, a UVB fluorescent tube light, say 3-4 feet long, along the long end of your enclosure. This does not give out heat, just the UV light. You would also then have a basking light (less expensive, not an MVB) on the warm end.

Here is a link, located at the beginning of the Hermann section
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hermann-s-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1uc3Io52Y

If you can keep your tort outside for even a few months, even just during the day, he will really thrive.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Englishrose said:
Hi there,

I use the Exo Terra range and have a UVA and a UVB bulb, not the coil type, they are not recommended.

i only have 2 lights (as above) the sunlight i have above the food tray and water dish this is on the left of my enclosure and on the right i have the heat/basking spot inbetween the two i have one of the hides.

I mist the substrate when its dried out or just turn it al over once per week they like it damp, but not too much. the coconut coir they love to sleep on.

I know the lighting can be a confusing topic, its my understanding that the MVB bulbs can get too hot.

kae

Do you think that room temperature is warm enough at night for the little tort to sleep? No lights on? :s

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Hi from BC! You'll probably need some heat at night, especially if you get a baby. Walter lives in a mix of sphagnum moss and coco coir which holds more humidity then anything else I've tried. A MVB is the best, you just need to have an adjustable light stand so you can get the temperature right. When it's still young you really need a house, until he/she gets used to you it will want to hide. A house is also a good place to make a damp hide, Walter has a little barn shoved full of sphagnum moss which I keep wet. Good luck!

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Hi

I would say that as you have a young tort you should prob have the light on at night, i think the temp should be between 50-60 at night, but someone hopefully will come along and correct me if im wrong, I dont leave any light on at night and never have, my torts seem fine.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures, at least your asking the right questions and clearly want a nice happy enclosure for him/her. your doing a great job.

I have found the care sheets by chris an excellent resource and since being a member on this site ive learnt so much more and made changes myself.

My happy two spent 8 hours in the sun today:)

Kae

cjcantelon said:
Englishrose said:
Hi there,

kae

Do you think that room temperature is warm enough at night for the little tort to sleep? No lights on? :s

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
I priced out pet store last light way to expensive . So I matched the prices at www.petsandponds.com a Canadian shipping website , so much cheaper! I got two 5.5 inch ceramic fluker fixtures. A exo terra ceramic heat emitter 100watts. Zoomed repti-temp 500r remote sensor thermostat. And a exo terra solar glo 160 watt mercury vapor uv bulb. I pulled some strings with the free shipping and believe it or not it all came to only a few dollars over 100 bucks . I'll get pictures as soon as its set up and ready to go :). Also I'm building a hut out of hard wood samples from home depot for under 6 bucks .

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
cjcantelon said:
I priced out pet store last light way to expensive . So I matched the prices at www.petsandponds.com a Canadian shipping website , so much cheaper! I got two 5.5 inch ceramic fluker fixtures. A exo terra ceramic heat emitter 100watts. Zoomed repti-temp 500r remote sensor thermostat. And a exo terra solar glo 160 watt mercury vapor uv bulb. I pulled some strings with the free shipping and believe it or not it all came to only a few dollars over 100 bucks . I'll get pictures as soon as its set up and ready to go :). Also I'm building a hut out of hard wood samples from home depot for under 6 bucks .

This is fantastic! way to go :)

if you have noticed lynnedits post (post #10) who sums it up very well. i have my basking light on a thermostat which is set to 80-85 degrees, i dont use an ifrared light for night time but i might consider that after summer.

My torts are in the garage and the night temp is about 50, i turn the thermostat off at night it comes on at 40, ive always done this and they have functioned fine, pretty active, ive increased the calcium in there diet the one with the D3 in it to 3x week i noticed the back of her shell to be slightly soft in 1 place but its getting harder now, i will go back down to twice a week shortly, just a short period of time (30mins) in the sun is so helpful and far outweighs the UVA light.

Your doing a good job! just keep researching the site, im no expert and have change a number of things around since joining the site, i have particulalry found hermanchris's post to be helpful, hes a breeder of hermans, there are many others on this site with good experience and who are happy to share.

We look forward to the pics

kae

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Wells friends,
Not too much to update. Still can't wait till August, hope they have my baby tort I've been looking for.

Few things I added and rotated around:

1. A tile for eating on I heard some people did this because they do not want there baby tortoise to eat too much soil.

image-2253278348.png

2. A small hut for now, a little smaller then I anticipated but should work for now. Constructed of wood flooring 6 dollars.

image-2945661292.png

3. Rearranged the basking rock placements. Plants and rocks are moved around for a more natural sense. Give the little girl/guy some exercise and obsticals.

image-2034449934.png

4. Now i am just impatiently waiting for my electronics to come in :-! .....

Thank you for following my progress.

Any comments on pyramiding would be good information. It's one of the biggest things that scares me.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Guess what I bought

image-628482496.png

Guess what just blew up

image-2907918844.png

image-2655716480.png

Now that I exploded my mercury vapor bulb, no my very expensive mvb UVB UVA Basking light. I've come to the conclusion that my 75 watt fixtures are not rated for 160watts . ...

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
cjcantelon said:
Guess what I bought

Guess what just blew up

Now that I exploded my mercury vapor bulb, no my very expensive mvb UVB UVA Basking light. I've come to the conclusion that my 75 watt fixtures are not rated for 160watts . ...

Oh golly, be careful getting the glass out. It looks hazardous.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
***Pictures at bottom***

Western Hermann's Tortoise Enclosure (complete):

Enclosure: 5ft x 2ft x 1ft
Wood exterior.
Laminate/ Tile interior .
Marine sealant.

Substrate: 60/40
Black earth top soil (baked)
Coco husk ( pet store bricks)
Basking Rock/ Plants/ Home made hut.

Lighting/Heating:
Exoterra Repti Glo 10.0 UVB 13W (Fluker 5.5" fixture)
Exoterra Intense Basking 75W (Fluker 5.5" fixture)
Exoterra Heat Emitter 100W ( Fluker 8.5" fixture)
Power Bar/Day and Night timer ( all of above)
Thermostat Zoo Med 500R ( for heat emitter)

Extras: thermometer, hydrometer , basking light stand, wire molding ( cleaner presentation), water dish ( to be included beside hut).

image-144454469.png

image-3511310285.png

image-3473649280.png

Status
Not open for further replies.