Problem with Hermann's Tortoise Eye?

Cake

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi!

I have a young Hermann's tortoise and I'm concerned about one of his eyes.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448732596.851783.jpg

It almost looks a little swelled to me? It just looks different compared to his other eye so I'm concerned.

Does anyone know if something is wrong?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Something is definitely wrong. How are you keeping him? High and low temperatures, humidity, substrate, how frequently do you bathe it, what type of lights are you using?

Cake

New York
The light we're using for him is an 100 Watt PowerSun UV lamp. We usually soak him in lukewarm water twice a month

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The light we're using for him is an 100 Watt PowerSun UV lamp. We usually soak him in lukewarm water twice a month

What are your enclosure temperatures? What substrate are you using? What is diet like?

Twice a month is quite infrequent for bathing a hatchling. Does it have water available at all times in the enclosure that it can sit in?

Cake

New York
His diet is mostly lettuce, dandelion, and other leafy greens. His substrate is a mixture of sand and dirt. The temperature of his habitat is usually always around 70 degrees fahrenheit. Yes, he always has a water dish in his enclosure that is large enough for him to sit in.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
His diet is mostly lettuce, dandelion, and other leafy greens. His substrate is a mixture of sand and dirt. The temperature of his habitat is usually always around 70 degrees fahrenheit. Yes, he always has a water dish in his enclosure that is large enough for him to sit in.

Do you not have a basking light? If your high temps are that low, I'm surprised you don't have more problems. Your tortoise can't digest its food if it can't heat up.

Heat and hydration are really important. Get that baby into a warm bath.

Read the care sheet here for help: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....ERMANN'S-TORTOISE-CARE-SHEET-*UPDATED.101410/

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
It's also not good to use sand in the substrate. They can ingest it, which can cause impaction problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and it's irritating to their eyes.