Eye Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshnewman13

5 Year Member
Hello,
I just bought a 2 year old Horsefield tortoise last week and is completely new but loving it.
Everything has been going perfect except last night when i spotted his right eye was a little watery. Ive just returned home from college and he is still in the same spot with the right eye again in some irritation, the eye can open but looks restricted and swelled up compared to his left eye.
Hes been feeding on sprouts and absolutely loves them, hes had two baths which he has a little dip of his head in the water and little drink and then has had enough.
Both UV and heat lights on 8-8, with a temperature in the day of 90f and by night roughly around 65-70f.
I got him out before to investigate more and he went straight back to his digged sleeping spot in his hide.
Any information, suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!!
thankyouu

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I don't know a lot about horsefields so I will bump you and hope someone will chime in...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of substrate are you using? Have you gently flushed the eye in question with saline solution and/or bottled water?? May we see a photo of the little eye ?

Snowywood

5 Year Member
Eastbourne
My mom had the same problem with our Leopard tortoise. Using my optical background, we bathed her eye in pre boiled water. But let the water get to blood warm temp. This did the trick. Had to do it a few times and she's possible prone to it. But if there is a blockage in the tear duct, this will loosen it up and de-block it. The eye will water a lot more than normal too, as it will feel dry to her. Other wise, it'll be a trip to the vets for eye drops :-/ also check her breathing, iv got a tort that has a chest infection, she has a click to her breathing, like she's got a stuffy nose, my vet said if they're under the weather, there eye/s can go this way too :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.