horsefield eye question

Yxx

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Our tortoise Four Claws has something that looks like body tissue on upper rim of his right eye today. Today we had a pouring rain. He has been outside. Not sure what happened to the eye. He seems fine, but you can see he tries to rub something off the eye with front leg. He's sleeping now, so we cannot take a picture. If that thing still hangs on his eye there tomorrow, we'll try to post a picture. Before that, does anyone might have an idea of what is happened to his right eye? Is it something we need to be concerned about? Thank you for sharing your info!

Yxx

Pennsylvania
If someone can help us better identify is it's something to worry about, which would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.

I posted 4 pictures.
1st pic is a close-up of his right eye, the focus is not very good, but you can see the protrusion on the eye.
2nd is a view of his good left eye for comparison.
3rd is another view of his right eye.
Last is taken this morning when he shut his right eye (left eye is open)

I have to mention this morning after seeing him shut only one eye, I took a close look afterwards and I noticed a cactus needle under his eye (we have prickly pear in his enclosure), I removed the needle and hope that's the reason he shut his right eye. We didn't see the needle last night when we noticed the protrusion, maybe it had been there or just got there later.

When I get home after work today, we'll keep watch if he keeps shutting only his right eye. However, back to my question about the extrusion? Do you think it's just a skin shedding off after seeing the pictures? Thank you very much for reading my question and share any of your experience!IMG_1357[1].JPG IMG_1369[1].JPG IMG_1372[1].JPG IMG_1377[1].JPG

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I see what you're talking about. Not sure what it is. Could be skin. Did you try to rub it off?

Reactions: Yxx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like flaky skin to me. Totally normal. I'd soak him and give it a very gentle rub to see if it will just come off.

Nice looking russian by the way...

Reactions: Yxx

Yxx

Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the response!

We feel better now knowing it's probably just part of his old tissue. I'll do soak him but not try to force it off. If it's dead old skin, sooner or later it will fall off, I assume.

Nevertheless I do like to hear from you more about prickly pear cactus. Do you think I should get rid of it from my garden, i.e. his enclosure? I started to see needles on his head (They must have been there before but I didn't look closely until this thing on his eye). Unlike what I read about russian tortoise and prickly pear cactus, he doesn't seem interested in the leaf or flower or fruit, and he treads on them, brushes across them like they are no problem to them. Is cactus needle a problem to russian tortoise? Should I be concerned of it? Thank you very much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know the answer to your cactus question. Anytime I put it in any of my enclosures, they eat it down to the ground in a few days.

Is it fully spined opuntia or the spineless type?

I have not heard of cactus being a problem for any species. Wild radiata in Madagascar just walk up and eat the fully spined version that the farmers there use to keep the wild life out of their crop fields.

Yxx

Pennsylvania
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure about the species of my opuntia. They are definitely not spineless type. They have spines but not the stout kind, I think it's what they called "glochids", very fine bristles that can completely disappear into the skin and cause much pain. I attached a picture I found online that show spines similar to the opuntia I have, though I think mine are even finer hair that shown there.Cactus-Eastern-Prickly-Pear-Spines-found-in-Illinois-and-Indiana.jpg

I didn't realize until you asked the question that perhaps not all prickly pear cacti are good for russian tortoise?! How would you advise on this type of opuntia? Thanks much again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All the types I have produce glocchids similar to what you describe. I used to always wipe the spines of with heavy gloves under running water, but I ket seeing the lower pads half eaten by some tortoises with longer necks than I thought they had. Lately I just slice the pads off and let them drop where they are and all my tortoises have just been eating them, glocchids and all, for a year or more with no issues. I don't know how they do it, but they do. This includes SA leopards, sulcatas of a variety of sizes and ages, and russians.

Yxx

Pennsylvania
Wow, amazing, Tom. How every tortoise eats differently. My russian just likes hiding in there but never interested in a bite. He doesn't even appreciate flowers. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I may transplant the prickly pear elsewhere to prevent him from future sting by glochids. Thank you again for your support and sharing. Hope you a wonderful day!