Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh, I totally cheated and just bought a seedling. I'm very hit and miss when it comes to getting trees/seeds to sprout.

I think out of 100s of empress seeds I've tried, I've had 2 germinate. So much for invasive.

I thought about buying a seedling, but they were too costly for me at that time. I think I got 50 or 100 seeds. But so far nothing.

I also bought an empress tree. It is now over 30' tall. And every other year it drops seeds and a few of them sprout. I can see where it might be an invasive species. But its a great shade tree and the blooms a quite pretty.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
well folks researchers just said on the radio that people with a warped sense of humor could be showing signs of early dementia. looks like I'm doomed.
I guess move to Texas so we can be in the same crazy cage .

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Oh, I totally cheated and just bought a seedling. I'm very hit and miss when it comes to getting trees/seeds to sprout.

I think out of 100s of empress seeds I've tried, I've had 2 germinate. So much for invasive.

I have horrible luck with seeds, too.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
So I always see this "Pretend chat" and have never come in here... what are yall pretending to chat about? o_O
Well hello!
We just talk about whatever. I'm not even sure why it's called pretend chat. It should just be called, "The OT BS thread." Lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well hello!
We just talk about whatever. I'm not even sure why it's called pretend chat. It should just be called, "The OT BS thread." Lol
its called pretend chat because we wanted a chat box but the server couldn't handle it I believe so this thread
Waz started

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
@Moozillion how is retirement? Did you get your tiny turtle already?
Busy!!! :):):)
No, I haven't gotten my baby yet. My learning curve it turning out to be steeper than I thought. I thought I was knowledgeable on aquariums because I'd had aquariums much of my adult life; but the last time I had one was in 1991- almost 25 years ago!!! (I'm almost 61). The only filters we used "back then" were the under gravel filters, which nobody seems to use these days. A wonderful forum friend sent me some canister filters to use, and I've got my 20 gal long aquarium set up on its stand.
My current issues are: tannins in the water from the mopani wood and what is best to use for heat and UVB. I was going to use a MVB, but because the aquarium is so small, I'm afraid the MVB will heat up the WHOLE thing too much.

Thanks so much for asking! :p