Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A death in the appliance family.

Aw, dang it! Good thing your weather is turning cold. Get a big container and set it out on the porch and let the weather keep your perishables cool! Or an ice chest. There's always something that comes along wanting your money, huh?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Aw, dang it! Good thing your weather is turning cold. Get a big container and set it out on the porch and let the weather keep your perishables cool! Or an ice chest. There's always something that comes along wanting your money, huh?

This is the one I keep in the garage. My old inside one won't keep the freezer part cold enough, so main reason for garage one. I don't use it often, so by the time I did, the meat in the freezer had melted and gone bad. Plus some stored tortoise stuff down below.

Would have been better for the main one to have gone out.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Morning everyone:)
Happy Veterans Day :D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Despite seeing multiple references to Veteran's Day, I still somehow expected the bank to be open. :(

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Hello my friends! I have a question. which will save me more money: an electric oil filled radiant heater, or my giant gas furnace? I have only lived on my own in the winter once, last year, and I wasn't sure which one was more cost efficient.

I know that gas is cheaper than electricity. With the oil heater, I'll only have it on at night on a low setting, or when the fiance is over and she's cold (big baby!). WIth my furnace, I found that it only heats my living room (sometimes way too warm) and not the bedroom, which my bed is literally 10-12 feet away. It blows the hot air into my living room floor.

I felt like maybe the oil heater because I can't really notice a difference with my bill considering I use one for the tortoise house.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Despite seeing multiple references to Veteran's Day, I still somehow expected the bank to be open. :(

Took me awhile to figure out that was why nobody was hanging out at the post office.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thing I like about the oil filled radiator is that it still gives off heat after it has cycled off. I use a wood-burning stove to heat my house, but my bedroom, where I spend the majority of my time, is too far away to benefit from the fire's heat, so I have an electric oil-filled radiator in the bedroom. It warms up the room very nicely, and I don't notice it turning on and off because the heated oil keeps giving off heat.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Took me awhile to figure out that was why nobody was hanging out at the post office.

Strangely enough, I just had them drop something off. I guess the deal they have with FedEx supersedes the holiday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is a cloudy dreary morning here, fits my mood.

It's a beautiful, sunny day here, however, it's not warm unless you're in the sun and up against the house or the fence. And it's awful cold inside the house. I've yet to make a fire in the wood stove this year, but I'm getting pretty close. My fingers are so cold I can hardly type. I think what's holding me off is the fact I have my three incubators opposite the front of the stove - mbye about 6' away. I'm thinking it may be too hot there for them. And I can't think of a better, out-of-the-way place to put them. They used to be in the kitchen, but I've got a baby tub in that spot now. I don't want them in the living room because that's the only room in the house that looks presentable. there's no room in my bedroom. And if I put them in one of the other bedrooms I'll probably forget them. Woe is me.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's a beautiful, sunny day here, however, it's not warm unless you're in the sun and up against the house or the fence. And it's awful cold inside the house. I've yet to make a fire in the wood stove this year, but I'm getting pretty close. My fingers are so cold I can hardly type. I think what's holding me off is the fact I have my three incubators opposite the front of the stove - mbye about 6' away. I'm thinking it may be too hot there for them. And I can't think of a better, out-of-the-way place to put them. They used to be in the kitchen, but I've got a baby tub in that spot now. I don't want them in the living room because that's the only room in the house that looks presentable. there's no room in my bedroom. And if I put them in one of the other bedrooms I'll probably forget them. Woe is me.
Decisions decisions

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I must be the only person who doesn't like oiled filled heaters. They just never seem to give off enough heat to me.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I must be the only person who doesn't like oiled filled heaters. They just never seem to give off enough heat to me.

I don't like ambient heat in general, seems too suffocating. I prefer having the heat blowing directly on me (or in direct contact).