Pretend Chat 2.14

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Well carve up some tortoise shaped ones. I'll bet they will sell . I'd buy one.

I have actually got 3 small soapstone carvings of tortoises, they came from South Africa in early in 90s. One of them had a rear left foot missing and 24 years later I end up with a real tort - with his rear left foot missing! Think it was on the cards all along. Will post pics when I get a camera later.

I love soapstone it's very smooth and your carving looks very tactile Smarch

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Are you talking about a different Tom? Everything is okay in my world.

Sorry to hear about your rough week. Hope the next one is better.
I was reading where the other Tom was leaving and he told Yvonne she could take down all of his messages

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Finished my stone carving... I was not expecting that. I've been carving it practically all day, it's been a rough day I needed it to keep me calm. It's currently untitled, but if never submit a work to a show untitled so I'll have a title eventually.

What do you see?

View attachment 129348
It's a bull elephant seal able to retract its head in like a tortoise.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Well carve up some tortoise shaped ones. I'll bet they will sell . I'd buy one.
I prefer carving abstract to real, less proportions to worry about getting right, but I have thought about carving a tortoise. I do however think if you heard the price $200 you'd die a little though. The stone itself is $50 before I put around 30 hours work into it. And my professor told me that stones could reasonably be priced 400-800... But I don't know for friends that just isn't right to me,.. And it's impractical. Hmm maybe in the future I should trade stones for torts lol.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have actually got 3 small soapstone carvings of tortoises, they came from South Africa in early in 90s. One of them had a rear left foot missing and 24 years later I end up with a real tort - with his rear left foot missing! Think it was on the cards all along. Will post pics when I get a camera later.

I love soapstone it's very smooth and your carving looks very tactile Smarch

What a great story!