Predator proofing

So with our excessive number of raccoons and possums around we need to predator proof the pen. Could we just cover the top of the pen with chicken wire?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
I don't think chicken wire is strong enough. What you want is welded wire mesh. About 1/2 inch wide. Here's a picture of the cage we just built for my new penImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402583953.976561.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Hardware cloth on a frame that locks down. Raccoons are clever about getting in.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You must be diligent on the sides, top, and bottom. Predators and tortoises are diggers.

I have designed my outdoor pens by trenching about 8" to a foot around the pen border and then setting a treated 2" x 12" board into the top 2 inches of the poured concrete. Then using 1" x 6" treated deck boards I build a top framing that is covered with the 1/2" hard wire grid. You can design the deck boards to be hinged for access or put in a sliding system much like a double hung window. For even larger enclosures consider building a walk in enclosure about 7 feet tall.

Good luck.

We'll the bottom won't be a problem. The best way to describe the pen would be a large 4'x7' box without a lid