Question: What age/size do you leave outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I know a lot of redfoot owners keep their torts in a variety of climate zones but I was just curious at what age or size you leave your tortoises outside? Especially for overnight. Obviously predator proofing, temperatures, and humidity play a role. My Rosie is 2 years old and currently she resides mostly indoors in her 6ft x 4ft enclosure. I do take her outside in the Carolina sun but have yet to build an outdoor pen since my only backyard space has two large tort-eyeing dogs just a fence away.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size it she? I have a leopard that is just over two. When I get the outdoor shed done, sometime soon I hope, I will be leaving him outside. He is over 7 inches. I am not sure if I will leave him out in the winter months though.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
My redfoot tort is 4.5 inches. I allow it to spend the day outside but not overnight. I am not sure how I feel about doing overnights at this age but at the moment the weather doesn't permit overnight stays so it doesn't really matter, and I am not ready to build a heated hide box. I will allow my tortoise to stay out from around 10am to 5 depending on the exact temps and weather conditions.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
She's about 4.7 inches. I don't leave her outside unattended.

7 inches at two years? Wow! Is that normal growth and my Rosie is just runty?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
She's about 4.7 inches. I don't leave her outside unattended.

7 inches at two years? Wow! Is that normal growth and my Rosie is just runty?

Leopards get larger than Redfoots, thus growing faster and reaching adult size quicker most of the time.

As long as the area is secure I am fine leaving mine unattended for hours on end. My tortoise never flips itself and there are no predators that can get to it and cause harm.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I got three red foots I keep outside day and night. The biggest one is 8 inches the other two are 4 to 5 inches . I just make sure they are in there hides before I go to bed and I remove the left over food out of the pen so the ants or night hunters aren't attacked to the pen.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Hi

I have 4 yearlings. I would say the largest is 4-5 inches.
I bring them in at night, just because.
When they are larger i will leave them out in decent weather.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mine spend all summer outside starting in their second summer, but predators are not a huge issue, and they still come in during bad weather... if I can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.