Power Outages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
What type of back up plans do you all have for winter power outages? Do you have gernerators? Or just keep your fingers crossed that it doesnt last more then a few hours?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
if we have a winter power outage here in southern CA, im moving to phoenix! ;)

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
i am going to get some reusable heat pads. i've seen some that last 8-12 hours. i'm in southern CA, so the sun is usually out in the winter. i would take Captain outside and let him sit on top of a heating pad and catch some sun rays. if i lived east of here, i would definitely invest in a generator.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
josh said:
if we have a winter power outage here in southern CA, im moving to phoenix! ;)

but then you can't take your CA DT!! legally anyway. power outages in so cal last liek 10 minutes anyway. lol

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
One can purchase those "shake & heat" pad thingy's {how'dya like my description on thsoe, lol?} from camping/outdoor stores and such, and they last quite a long time.. I brought my tortie across country by way of train {No thanx to the conductor..} with the use of those little packets; wrapped in a wash cloth, they worked well against the air conditioned trains!

Just a thought ~
Purpod

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
james said:
but then you can't take your CA DT!! legally anyway. power outages in so cal last liek 10 minutes anyway. lol

you're so right... :(

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have a generator (LP) and a couple kerosine heaters. I have live east of Cal and we do get blizzards and ice storms from Nebraska.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is one of the really bad downfalls of having ALL your animals outside. If I had a power outage that lasted long enough to cool the tortoises down, I'd be in a world of hurt! Can you see Dudley (100lb+ sulcata) in bed with me and the Aldabrans and the Manouria? I have those chemical hand warmers in mind, but with the large tortoises, I'd have to buy out the store.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Well guys, I live in So. CA and I have a small generator. Yep a generator. I had the power out a couple of years ago for 2 days. So I'm not taking the chance with the hatchlings. The generator I have is big enough to run the fridg and a lamp or several heat lamps for the torts. Guess who gets the generated electricity? I might have spoiled food but my hatchlings will be cosy and warm. My little generator I got at Pepboys came with a small donut air compressor. Both on sale for less than $100.00 I figure I use the air compressor for my tires and the peace of mind for the generator is worth the $$$.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
yeah, a generator even in so CA is a good idea. especially with the fire season coming up.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Kerosene heater + to be installed wood pellet stove. Gets cold up here in NH!
A few years ago, the power went out on a nice (but very cold) day, and the kerosene (paraffin for those in the UK) heater kept Ozzy the iguana alive and quite toasty.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I live in Montreal and the winters here are very very cold and full of snow. I bought a generator, I hope I wont have to use it :).

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
It can get pretty cold here, but I like it :D. I'm glad you started the thread Laura, you got me thinking now! That hand-warmer idea is awesome! I need em for the winter Packer games anyway.

Thanks!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Well I am in phoenix and I haven't really thought about that yet! Luckly I have gas heat!! and most of mine hibernate, but thanks for starting the thread cause what would I do if the gas lines got turned of for some reason.. burrr it would get cold in here..

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Xllnt deal on that generator, Robyn; smart lady!

And yeah, Yvonne, you'd just about go broked trying to buy enuf of those warmer packs, lol ~ perhaps you might wanna get one of those cheapie generators ~

Be well all,
Purpod

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I've got 2 generators. One that will run the house and one for the tort room. Only reason I bought one for the house was when we lived in California and they use to have the scheduled 'Brownouts" to save on enregy so I bought one for the house. Come to find out afterwards that we were on the same grid as the hospital and police station so our power was never turned off. The one I got for the tort room is actually a Honda that I got for camping. It' really quiet and puts out enough power to run the heaters and even the humidifier and lights.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Chucky said:
I've got 2 generators. One that will run the house and one for the tort room. Only reason I bought one for the house was when we lived in California and they use to have the scheduled 'Brownouts" to save on enregy so I bought one for the house. Come to find out afterwards that we were on the same grid as the hospital and police station so our power was never turned off. The one I got for the tort room is actually a Honda that I got for camping. It' really quiet and puts out enough power to run the heaters and even the humidifier and lights.

A honda? Yeah that's right.. Tim doesn't want to miss a chance of having enough light to count all of his $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Any idea how much one of those things cost?

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I have a Troy Bilt 3550 watt generator to keep all of the redfoots warm and the incubators running.

NERD

tasena

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
This is one of the really bad downfalls of having ALL your animals outside. If I had a power outage that lasted long enough to cool the tortoises down, I'd be in a world of hurt! Can you see Dudley (100lb+ sulcata) in bed with me and the Aldabrans and the Manouria? I have those chemical hand warmers in mind, but with the large tortoises, I'd have to buy out the store.

Yvonne

Now Yvonne thats a pic I would like to see on the forum :p very cozy

Status
Not open for further replies.