Winter time problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I'm in Pennsylvania and getting a few inches of snow today. My torts are snug and warm in their inside enclosure. They're talking about possible power outages and the got me thinking...what do I do if I loose power for an extended period of time???

With my snakes I have put them in a sack and then wrap a towel around it and out a heat pack in with them. I only had to do this once after the power was out for four hours.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I heat with wood, so I figured I'd just put 'em in cardboard boxes near the fire. You could try battery backup, but heating draws a lot of power.Maybe an electric blanket wrapped around a box would work. A kerosene heater just for emergencies should be OK.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, i had this problem last year. i had my cakes and an egg. no power. this year i have a generator.

M

Maggie Cummings

You can fill jars with really hot water and wrap a towel around them and put them in with your torts

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
When i first started keeping reptiles..I lived in the boon docks ..so I had a generator wired into my box..to run the outlets in my reptile room, refrigerator and heating system...But I relocated 5yrs ago and now have a small 2000watt generator I picked up on craiglist for like $100... I've used it to power my rather lg snake rack system for a few days a couple of yrs ago.(the last few yrs we have not lost electricity)...what I would do is set it outside and run a heavy duty extension cord into the room and use a power block to plug my fixtures in...

Just a thought if your prone to power losses..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Like Maggie said, I have used 5 gallon jugs for this. Even when the power is out, we still have hot water here, since the water heaters run on Natural Gas.

TtT's generator suggestion is the best way to go, but not necessarily cheap for one big enough to run the whole house, plus all the hook ups.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Those same heat packs you use for your snakes, work the same way for your tortoises. Very easy to keep a supply on hand, they work well, once they stop producing enough heat just open up another one, and the cost won't kill your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.