possibly respiratory infection

tasha bason

So I've recently adopted a sulcata and built what I thought was a great enclosure however I think Stallone now has a respiratory infection, it's not bad yet based in what I've read just a little bit of clicking and every now and then a bubble. I think its due to all the rain weve been getting here. He is still eating and roaming when I bring him inside, which he's been in for 2 days now. Any advise? Anyone in houston specificlly that I can talk to about housing indoors vs outdoors in this climate?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
So I've recently adopted a sulcata and built what I thought was a great enclosure however I think Stallone now has a respiratory infection, it's not bad yet based in what I've read just a little bit of clicking and every now and then a bubble. I think its due to all the rain weve been getting here. He is still eating and roaming when I bring him inside, which he's been in for 2 days now. Any advise? Anyone in houston specificlly that I can talk to about housing indoors vs outdoors in this climate?
I'm here in Houston

What size is your tort and how do you house him both inside and outside

tasha bason

This is what we made him. He's is approx 2?? Very small fits in Palm

20150401_110612.jpg 20150329_213512.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tasha bason

We don't have an indoor in closure I've got a uv heat lamp I've been turning on in the laundry room and letting him roam.

tasha bason

I've been feeding him dandelion weeds from spouts kale and collard greens. I also planed wheat grass in his enclosure which he is not eating and just sprouted barley grass and he is also not eating. Bought 4.5 pounds of this seed! :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tasha:

I don't think your baby is warm enough. He's only barely out of the egg at that size, no where near two years old...maybe two months old. He needs to be in a habitat that is warm (80-85F degrees) and moist, day and night.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You need to keep him inside in a closed chamber with proper heat

tasha bason

He was owned by previous owner for at least 1 year and supposedly a year when That owner got it from the vreeder.. but I cannot confirm. I didn't hear him outside I just check on him alot. I let him out in the sun to wander and sit with him .that's when I heard it first and brought him indoors

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In that case, he's not been taken care of properly. You may have a long hard struggle on your hands. At over a year of age he should be slightly bigger than a man's palm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Soak in warm water for a half hour or so. But raising the temperature up to 80-85F is very important.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't think you should wait until tomorrow. Don't you have a little plastic bin or tub you can put him in and bring him inside under a light?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
well that he is not... so please help what can I do?
He's not big and strong enough to live outside 24/7 yet. You need to build him a closed chamber to spend most of his time in.

He needs a basking light for day time and a Che on a thermostat for night time. If you give him time is the sun (even if it's just 30 mins but more is better) a few days a week that will be good enough for his UVB needs. If you're going to keep him inside all the time you need a good UVB light.